Lamps and lanterns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Womble_Lancs said:
I have a bushlite and also a cheap imitation of the same. I find that they're both utterly useless whilst on the move because there's no reflector on the top, so you get too much light in your eyes rather than on the surroundings.

I use a maglite whilst on the move, and use the bushlite for in my tent, for both light and heat.

The imitation jobbie can be used with a candle or with parafin, but I've only used the candle so far and I was very surprised to find that the glass doesn't get hot at all.

Anyone know where to get hold of a cheap bushlite or a imitation??

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i use a petzl zipka plus, and i have a krill light for a basha marker.
i also have an uco lantern for when i need a little more light.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Well done Mojo, you can't go wrong with a Vapalux/Bialaddin, fantastic lanterns.

I'm jinxed with Tilley lamps, always seem to have problems, but none with the Vapalux which is strange as they use many interchangeable parts :rolleyes:

Apart from being a great light source, you get about 1Kw of heat as well :cool:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
retrohiker said:
I've got one of the Bonfires. Nice light for general light in a tent but it's pretty big for the amount of light it puts out. It has a really diffuse, soft light that might work in a hammock set-up but you could probably do better by just rigging up one of the small Photon lights on the ridgeline in your hammock. Much, much smaller and a bright light to read by.
Cheers Retrohiker, I thought it was maybe a touch big for something that'll see so little use.
Was in a sport shop yesterday. Picked up a few pingpong balls with a mind to bodging a diffuser for my wee inova x1. :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
When camping with vehicles we use a pair of 12V "Starter boxes" ie a 12V 17Ah battery in a bright yellow box, which cost uner £25 from Aldi.

There are many differrent types, but ours have a small light on the front for instant local lighting and 3 switchable cigarette lighter sockets into which we plug 8W flourescent fittings, which cost around £5 each.

One box will power a single tube for just under a week in August, and will easliy cover a weekend in the Winter.

OK so they are definatley not very "Bushcrafty" and quite bulky but once you have them the running costs are negligable and theym can be ready in seconds without having to fiddle around with fuel and possibly mantles.

My previous system was a number of second hand 12V Lead Acid gel batteries blagged from an alarm shop, you need a special charger but that was only around £12 from Maplins and each 7Ah battery would light a flourescent tube for an evening The down side was that it used crocodile clips and you had to start charging batteries several days before each trip so when I saw the starter boxes I didn't hesitate.

I am looking at replaing the tubes at some point with LEDs but at the moment it all works and doesn't cost anything.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE