lamp question for the lamp guru's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
spent a weekend with some chap using Tilley lamps, and being unable to afford a new one I on the look out for a second hand one to replace my LED lantern. Side by side there was no comparison the tilley won hands down and even kicked off some heat to add another bonus point!

anyway are tilleys the only ones worth keeping an eye out for? anyone recommend something else that'll throw out a decent light.

Any links to decent second hand lamps would be appreciated as I don't really know what's a good or not, as Ive looked on EBay and no idea whats a good deal!

cheers

Orric

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
The two main lamp makes you see in the UK are Tilley and Vapalux who were also named Bialaddin and Willis & Bates in the past.

I'm a fan of Bialaddin/Vapalux lamps. The Vapalux M320's are pretty good and go for about £70. They are sold for over £100 on ebay but this is too much and it's best to wait as new old stock is always being found for less money.

The older lamps are worth a look also. I have a 1940's Bialaddin 300X that works very well. As long as the tank does not leak and all the parts are present you will be fine with a Bialaddin/vapalux. Spares are easy to obtain and the only things that really fail are the vapouriser tube and seals. These lamps are very easy to strip and work on, same as the Tilleys really. All the Vapalux/Bialaddin lamps are good quality.

If you want to go down the Tilley route then the older Tillely Guardsmans are the better made lamps over the modern ones. The numbering goes X246 for the guardsmans which have the four cage support rods going straight vertically into the tank, X246A for the next generation is recognised by those support rods coming out the tank at an angle before going straight up, down to X246B which is still in production today which has the rods connected to a collar that fits over the tank. People who know better than me always recommend looking at the older Guardsmans if you want a Tilley as the new stuff can be poorer quality though will still work OK.

Don't get in a bidding war for a nice shiny lamp that someone had polished up. Yes they look good but they had paint on them originally for a good reason, to protect the Brass. The Bialaddin 300 X is one lamp very common in being polished up. Would not go past £50 for one of these. Un polished will go for less and so long as complete is a good buy. Any common used lamp would have to be in great condition for me to pay over £50. If you don't mind tatty you could grab a bargain, something for about £20 or less?

HTH,

Steve

Last edited:

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Don'y forget Coleman lamps. I picked up a single mantle 282 2nd hand but unused for under £30 and a 2 mantle 285 at a boot sale minus glass for £10. They are excellent lamps and easier to light than kero lamps.

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
The 500 candlepower Petromax-type lanterns are hands-down my favourite, and can be as easy if not easier to use than a petrol lantern if you purchase one with the rapid preheater. That's not to say that Tilley and Vapalux lamps are bad, they just require more input in terms of preheating etc. Tilleys and Vapalux are pretty bomb-proof though :)

You pays yer money, you takes yer choice....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You can pick up a Tilley for not a lot on ebay, Vapalux/Bialaddin seem to fetch more. I prefer the Vapalux and the older M300 models being my personal favourite (I just prefer the 'look' of that model).

Vapalux went out of business a couple of years ago after the British army stopped using them but the lanterns are once again in production by some company out in the far east.

In terms of ease of use the Coleman lanterns win hands down, pump, open valve and light. You need to pre heat the Tilley/Vapalux but once lit are very frugal on fuel and all that brass (or army green) just looks good.

I'd say go buy a £20 Tilley as a starter...you'll soon get hooked and start looking at other pressure lanterns :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
There's another common brand called 'Anchor'. Here's a random link:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/munwai/anchor.htm

You will find them a little cheaper than the more well-known brands, possibly because they are less well known.

I have all four makes mentioned in this thread. IMO the Tilley is the least preferable, but any are very useful. The paraffin-fueled ones take much more getting used to and more effort.

There's a clip-on meths burner to pre-heat some of them but they often seem to get lost and most of the lamps that need one seem to be sold second-hand without one. It's a bonus if you get one that still has the heater but it's easy enough to make one.

Make sure you always use the right fuel!

TrickyT

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2009
UK
Most of this is just repeating what Steve has said.

I have several lamps, both Tilley and Vapalux. This is how they have been described to me. Tilley are the old 'Austin Rover' where Vapalux are more of your 'Rolls Royce'

Out of my collection the two I use the most are a Vapalux M320 and a Tilley Guardsman. They type of mantel you use and how it is installed also makes a big difference.

I have some Tilley X246B Stormlights, but the build quality is not as good as the Guardsman as previously mentioned.

Both lamps are very easy to service, so don't be afraid of getting one from a car boot and cleaning it up yourself. You can save quite a bit doing this. Just make sure the glass is in good condition.

If you can, try and get a reflector for them, make a big difference in the light output.

I am no expert in them, but once you understand how they work and how to service them, you realise they are simple to use.

Regards

Trevor

greensurfingbear

Lamp arrived its bigger than expected. Had to get partial refund as glass was broken. Also ordered new mantle & preheater. Just need paraffin. Hope it's works!
pa4ejuze.jpg

Orric

TrickyT

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2009
UK
You can test it for leaks by turning off the valve, and pumping it up to pressure, about 70 strokes. Then put it into a bucket of water and looks for air bubbles.

Obviously do this without the mantle and glass fitted.

You will need paraffin, but will also need meths for the pre heating.

Trevor

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
You can test it for leaks by turning off the valve, and pumping it up to pressure, about 70 strokes. Then put it into a bucket of water and looks for air bubbles.

Obviously do this without the mantle and glass fitted.

You will need paraffin, but will also need meths for the pre heating.

Trevor

Is 70 strokes a bit much?......I've always been told about 30 or you stand a chance of pressurising the tank too much and causing damage

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
There are lighting tutorials on youtube for the Tilley's.

As Trevor said it's best to do a dunk test before fitting a mantle. If you have a leak it's best to fix it first as your bound to ruin a burnt in mantle in the process otherwise!

When you come to light for the first time arrange the mantle as shown from it's instructions. Fill the pre-heat clip with meths and clip it just below the glass on to the Vap' tube. Take the lamp outside and light the meths. When the meths has gone and the mantle has formed repeat the burning with another clip of meths. When almost gone again fire up the lamp by pressurizing the tank and letting it burn dim a while. Then gradually increase the pressure to full pressure, take your time the first time. This is a recommended way to burn in new mantles I learnt from the CPL Forums.

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Is 70 strokes a bit much?......I've always been told about 30 or you stand a chance of pressurising the tank too much and causing damage

The X246 will take roughly 100 strokes to achieve a working pressure of ~2 BAR or about 30 PSI using 850ml of Paraffin. These lamps come with a little pressure pip on the tank. When the tank is at full pressure the inner rod should rise and become flush with the outer surround, that's if it is working correctly?

The older Guardsmans are better made than the later versions and the tanks can take more pressure. Thats not to say they can't be over-pressurized and balloon the tank out. If your strong enough you could pump too much maybe but stick to a max of 100 and you will be OK. Also you don't have to pump it fully up, if it is bright enough on 50 strokes then great!

Steve.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
The X246 will take roughly 100 strokes to achieve a working pressure of ~2 BAR or about 30 PSI using 850ml of Paraffin. These lamps come with a little pressure pip on the tank. When the tank is at full pressure the inner rod should rise and become flush with the outer surround, that's if it is working correctly?

The older Guardsmans are better made than the later versions and the tanks can take more pressure. Thats not to say they can't be over-pressurized and balloon the tank out. If your strong enough you could pump too much maybe but stick to a max of 100 and you will be OK. Also you don't have to pump it fully up, if it is bright enough on 50 strokes then great!

Steve.

So would this be similar for a Bialaddin 310?

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Don'y forget Coleman lamps. I picked up a single mantle 282 2nd hand but unused for under £30 and a 2 mantle 285 at a boot sale minus glass for £10. They are excellent lamps and easier to light than kero lamps.

+ 1 for the Coleman lamp I got a dual mantle one Premium Power house one and that gives over 1000 Lumens, and I find it runs for about 7 hrs on tank full.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE