Iceni land wanderings...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Not so much Bushcraft, more a road trip. If life follows it's usual course, virtually all my time outdoors this winter will be in the woodland, so I took advantage of what may be the last burst of summer sun to spend some time in more exposed places. North Norfolk is 200 miles from home on the Sussex coast and a good excuse to give my bike what may be our last decent run out before I lay it up for the winter.
Fair weather biker now..
redface.gif
If I throw it up the road on a frosty day... 72 year old bones take a long time to mend...;)

2Em1cmYl.jpg

kiqTIyul.jpg

A commercial campsite, but as you see not too crowded and as it is "out of season" at £8 per night not too painful as I was able to leave my bike and gear in safety while I went tottering off into the countryside...:D

After 200 miles at close to 27 Degrees Celsius I needed to hang my leathers on the fence believe me..and the immaculate showers on the campsite were a real bonus.

Living 10 minutes walk from the Southern slope of the South Downs I get used to looking up (or down) at the surrounding countryside. Here it was all flat far horizons and big skies, and beautiful with it too.

DPM2GEcl.jpg

RVxtj3tl.jpg

The land is criss crossed by many hidden paths and byways and I was able to walk for hours without meeting anyone.

sYtTb6Dl.jpg

The hedgerows are full of food for wanderers and wild creatures alike.

nudO2VNl.jpg

MSgfkN5l.jpg

YDoFE7Pl.jpg

On the campsite track...

7HeZK73l.jpg

I noted plenty of places for an emergency overnight stop if needed on my wanderings, but not required under those weather conditions, all the same it's good to have a "Plan B" while out and about on your own. My tarp in here would have been cosy even in the foulest of weather.

Entrance...

BTGuuYcl.jpg

The bedroom....That'll do nicely...

9YWocCYl.jpg

I was reminded of recent posts on the Forum about 'Widow Makers' or Dead Fall.. Returning late in the day along one track I found something which had not been there in the early morning..

4Rk8Ikml.jpg

There's the culprit..

GQkQQJxl.jpg

A sizeable fallen branch which may well have caused injury to the unwary, or unlucky.

JkOxqsAl.jpg

Wrwwb1ul.jpg

Tucked away at the end of a long track was this once substantial fortified country home. Built in 1450 and lived in by the same family for 200 years it's now cared for by the National Trust. A few photos for those interested, as I am, in such reminders of our past.

PBoOZeYl.jpg

Ga3kYVal.jpg

rHYADpFl.jpg

The Gate House with main dwelling and second gate house behind.

WtmVQd8l.jpg

Attackers would need to fight their way across the moat..

4BweKs4l.jpg

And through the outer Gate House.

UHnkbaLl.jpg

Gate House Guard Rooms..

2OqHaDel.jpg

Brick ceilings

cC6OzJRl.jpg

Please excuse me while I slip into Nerdy mode..These defensive firing positions are well constructed with a central brick 'Pillar' giving angled protection..

Right side position..

anNfSPul.jpg

Centre..cover from fire..

3Ppfsxrl.jpg

Left position..

pxM7ypKl.jpg

It was well built with an original brick structure being overlaid with heavy flints as an outer skin.
( A note I read stated the owner had been given permission by the King to fortify the house fairly soon after it was built)

l82pFQal.jpg

A fine brood making use of the lake which adjoined the moat.

wpsMYS6l.jpg

BJXlhXnl.jpg

I wonder if this Oak could tell stories of the family who lived there when it was a sapling? :D

euHuzVFl.jpg

Someone lived there until 1920 when during a storm one of the towers collapsed and the building became untenable. The remains of the tower.

9krRQP9l.jpg

And now the old building is tired and perhaps not too long before this wall which formed part of the dwelling, decides that resting flat on the soft grass after all the Centuries standing upright is to be favoured..

RtlaAPAl.jpg

qUqfto2l.jpg

goI6Dopl.jpg

Back to camp after another hot day's wandering.

IApjR35l.jpg

Home now, back in the rolling Saxon lands after 6 days and 5 nights in the flat land of the Iceni...

7v5CXtSl.jpg

lol-043.gif

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Enjoyed that... something I've always wanted to do... had a brief visit there about 15 years ago and worked in Boston for a few days with the temptation to go for a wander to the east... might be a trip to plan for next year :D

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
"Ps .- nice bike! Is that a 70's Moto Guzzi?"

No Leshy, it's later, a 1996 1100cc fuel injected Guzzi California, the last of that particular model. I bought it new in January 1997.
We have covered many miles since..;)

Here ready to go on the Norfolk trip..

FeKpHa1l.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE