Laminated picture card translation thingies???

Wayland

Hárbarðr
A couple of years ago someone posted a link for a company producing sets of laminated cards with pictures on that could be used as a sort of universal phrase book.

The idea was that they had pictures in various categories such as food, transport, services etc. that you could point to if you didn't know the word you needed in the local language.

I got a pack and they were really useful, but I've lost them since, can't remember what they were called and I can't find the link anymore.

Can anybody help?

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
What Ogri said,I got some for my kids when the couldn't communicate (autism) and they work a treat.Have a google for flashcards too.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Pocket-comms
and either dot com or dot co dot UK

I got one for my Dad after his stroke! Very worthwhile

Ogri the trog

That was the ones Pete, I knew someone would remember them...
35.gif

Those others look good too Chas.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Nostalgic Bump!!

I was somewhat surprised to find it difficult , neigh impossible to pick up a copy of PocketComms.

They no longer seem to be printing them.

Unless anyone here knows different or have a set they want to shift on??

If so please get in touch

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
We've spent half the last 12 months travelling Europe, including places like Albania and Bosnia.
I was amazed just how many people and countries used English. I commented to one Bosnian guy in his 30's how good his English was. 'we've been learning it since we were 3' was his reply.

For us on our travels, this product would have been helpful in 3 or 4 situations at most, and that's being generous.
Of course, this is only Europe. there are other places around the world where English isn't the preferred international language. But apps fill that gap more completely with only a few specific circumstances where a picture card system would be helpful - getting directions to a cafe or the bank for instance. Of course you need to understand the reply too!

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Thailand, Laos, Cambodia.
My presumption was that I’d get by with English.
Luckily my Thai colleague gave me a card with some useful stuff including my hotel on one side and some answers in Thai and English for the taxi driver, moped driver, boat conductor to point to.

Some French taxi drivers won’t speak English!

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
But apps fill that gap more completely with only a few specific circumstances where a picture card system would be helpful - getting directions to a cafe or the bank for instance. Of course you need to understand the reply too!
You can get apps now that only translate what you say to Johnny foreigner but also translate their reply back into your language, including getting directions. You can't stop progress. :rolleyes:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Google Lens's augumented reality translation is cool too.

Point phone camera with something containing text, and it'll alter what the camera sees in near realtime with a translation.

Reactions: Stew

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Being a technophobe (no smart phone) I found that the picture book approach very useful ... and my mime of a chicken laying an egg not only got us eggs but good will and friendship from folks who we could not otherwise communicate with :)

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE