Lakes or Peaks ?

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Planning a bit ahead here, SWMBO decided today that she would like to see the Lake district or the Peak district next year around May / June time.

We'd be looking to ferry / drive across with the dog and look for a 1 or 2 bed cottage in a pretty village, really dont want to use the car much when we get there so we'd be looking for somewhere that you can walk to the pub, shops, local woods, hills etc for days out, picnics etc.

if anyone has links to, or knows of good places i can look up, then all help or pointers would be appreciated.

cheers

Robbi

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
hi mate i live just down the road from the peaks which i love but also visit the lakes, id say the lakes has just got the edge, i went earlier this year and stoped in a cottage at coniston(small village with pubs and outdoor shops) were we stoped is called the copper mines there are four cottages a mile out of the village half way up a mountain called the old man very piecfull with great views. id highly recemend it and cant wait to go again.
hope that helps ash

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
most places in the lakes fit the bill but will be busier than the peak district in that season so book well ahead.
Lakes means you can access yorkshire dales for a day trip if so wishing.
Try online cumbrian cottages who have many many choices.
We have ben going to the lakes for 40 odd years but only just discovered a hidden treasure the lyth valley
only a few miles out from bowness but gentler country/fells and quieter than many other areas with great walks from staight out of the doo rand some good pubs for eats and drinks

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you can avoid bank holidays and peak times then the Keswick area is a lovely place to base yourself. Some really nice walks around Skiddaw, Blencathra and Borrowdale to name a few, if you can get up on the fells mid week then they can be a stunning place to be.
A loop around Derwent is a nice day out, one or two pubs located one the way round too :)

Windermere is okay as long you go out of season, lots of nice walking in Grizedale Forest. Coniston is nice too, a bit more sleepy but good access for day walks and pub meals.

Don't forget you waterproofs though as there's a good chance it'll rain at least once a day.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Coniston in the lakes has the things you want within walking distance, I'm less of a fan of Windermere as its chocka full of tourists all ambling about with their brains in neutral.

Glenridding is nice also, just on the shore of Ullswater which I really rate as a nice lake.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I live in Edale which is the honey pot of the Northern Peaks. If I was coming from NI I would definitely go Lakes, or even consider doing Stranraer ferry and staying in Dumfriesshire, far less touristy but very nice, often better climate though missing the big hills. Depends on what you want of course. If you want tourist shops pubs and a good hill to walk up Lakes have it. The major appeal of the Peaks is that you can get a bit of the feeling of wildness yet it is easily accessible to London, Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield. It would seem an odd decision to drive past Lakes to get to Peaks.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i know what you meen Robin, passing the lakes to get to the peaks, but SWMBO is SWMBO ...however.....

just been looking at the Lyth Valley ( thanks tenderfoot ) and a place called CROSSTHWAITE looks quite good, Top Bank cottage looks OK and reasonably priced, anyone know the area ?

Robbi

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
What Rich and Robin said really. I live on the edge of the Lakes, but in the past I've spent a lot of time in the Peaks. While the peaks certainly has it's attractions, unless you specifically want to go climbing on Gritstone I'd choose the Lakes as a first visit to an English National Park.
Don't disregard what Robin said about Dumfries and Galloway either; it's an area that I've started to visit over the last few years when I know that the Lakes will be busy. Curiously enough, I find the scenery in the area reminds me of Ireland. It can also break up the journey off the ferry, which will take a good four hours at least.
I'd also recommend the Keswick area. If it pours down during your visit, you can easily drive or take a bus to Carlisle or West Cumbria for a change.

Cheers, Michael.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
this place is really nice

no real connection, my mother used to own a cleaning firm and we used to do the cleaning there, i've recommended them to a few people over the last couple of years. it's just outside a little village, so walking to the pub shouldn't be a problem, your dog's welcome there, they've got pretty good facilities with all the cottages being well equipped and also a seperate block with a little laundry room and a good sized games room (pool lable, table tennis, loads of kids toys etc.)

just an idea for you anyway.

cheers

stuart

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Pro's and con's for both really, but I feel that the Lakes has the 'edge' as there's a fair mix of scenery and it feels generally a bit 'wilder'.

That said, I liked Derbyshire so much I moved here!

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
cheers Wallenstien, is there a pub ( most important !! )

Robbi

Yep! If you're in Great Langdale you're not far from the Old Dungeon Ghyll (famous walkers' bar), or the New Dungeon Ghyll (modern hotel), both of which are in walking distance (and are well geared up for visitors).

We stayed in a village called Chapel Stile, which is in the same valley (Langdale) - there's a nice pub called the Wainwright Inn which is great to pop out to for a pint in the evening. There's also a really good village shop in Chapel Stile.

We stayed in this cottage but the same firm own loads of cottages in Langdale.

siman

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2010
Blackpool, UK
Langdale in the Lakes is lovely. Need a car to get there, but there are loads of walks once you're settled. Plus a nice village shop.

2nd that. Stayed at great langdale. 2 great pubs there too, ambleside being roughly 8 miles away, windermere 11. Some good walks up there too as its situated in the middle of a valley. Word of warning though, it gets bloody cold there at night.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Never been to the Lakes, but did the Peaks a few years ago and it was great. I tend to use StayOnAFarm (google it) as I find the prices are very competitive for the quality of accommodation that you get.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
There's no wrong answer to this, I love 'em both! The walking I find tends to be a bit easier in the Peaks and for me it's an hour and half less drive to get there so we tend to go there for weekends, saving the Lakes for full blown weeks. Both are better if you can avoid the school holidays.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE