Lake District for the first timer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Hi,

My best friend and I have decided to do a two night wild camp and hike in the Lake District this May. I wonder if any fellow bushcrafters have any tips. I am a weedy southerner who likes to use his DD Tarp in the relative calm of the forest.

1. Could I use the tarp on a hillside in the Lakes or should I opt for a tarp tent like the Shangri La 3?
2. Is it sensible to wild camp on the hills of the Lake District? Can I find somewhere that isn't too exposed?
3. Does anyone have a good route, off the beaten track but not marching through bog? We're arriving around 1pm on the Friday, aim to walk for three or four hours, set up camp for the evening, and do another four hours the next day before camping again or going to a local hostelry for a pie and a pint.

Any tips welcome.

Regards,

Darren

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Its perfectly feasible to use your tarp on the hills as well as in the woods.
Have a look on the web and on here for alternative pitch styles.A stick or
a hiking pole will be a big help , as will some decent pegs.
Bear in mind that it may rain (no,really!) so have a good waterproof bivvy
or groundsheet and keep spare clothes dry.
We have done lots of wild camping above Langdale and in Longsleddale
and there are a few bothies too in emergencies.As with anywhere else
stay high , pitch late and depart early , leaving no trace.
My own favourite is around High Street : great views good walking routes
in all directions and if you are lucky amazing wildlife.There are deer , fell
ponies , buzzards and peregrines so take a camera.
Enjoy.
Simon

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Hi Plastic Ninja.

I feel confident pitching my tarp in different styles and have a couple of poles with me for alternative configurations. I always take my military issue breathable bivvy just in case. I'm half tempted to buy a Shangri La 3 to be more enclosed if the weather is as wet as some say. It's easy to think all will be rosy when tucked up in bed but things are different on the hillside.

I will have a look into Hillside. Thanks for the tip.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
are ticks and mosquitos a problem in the lakes in May ? if so I would use a tent or hammock with a mossi net ( trees pending) . :) but thats just me

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hi Darren, great langdale last year. no issues with my basha even in high wind, yes a bivy bag would be a good idea. :)

033.jpg

Last edited:

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
hi Darren, great langdale last year. no issues with my basha even in high wind, yes a bivy bag would be a good idea. :)

033.jpg

That is blooming inspirational. I will take my bivvy bag just for added security. Funnily enough we have decided to hike out of Coniston via an overnight camp at Seathwaite at Turner Hill Farm and then on to Langdale. Eight miles the first day and 10 the next. Seeing these pics makes me want to forget camping at the farm and stay out on the hills. Can you recommend that?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE