Laburnum wood - toxic?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Venger

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
Nottingham
My GF's mother has recently cut down a Laburnum tree. (poisonous I know)

Now I know that it is valued by carvers ( ' false ebony') but what I really want to know is, does it contain the poison Cytisine?
I was thinking of making a spoon - not very clever if it's going to poison me.
So I was wondering if anybody knows?

Cheers

Venger

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Marts said:
DON't make a spoon out of it :eek:
Marts is right. Very bad idea!!! It can easily taint food and is not advisable to use on a camp fire either.

I'd keep it well out of the way of little nibblers too, children and animals alike, even when finished.

I'm not sure but you may need to take particular precautions when working it. Certainly wash your hands very thoroughly afterwards. If you cut yourself you would be introducing the poison directly into your bood stream. Probably in no great quantity or enough to do real harm but you're very wise to ask for some experienced advice before you start any project with it.

Sorry, I don't mean to be alarmist. I'm no expert. Ang on a bit, I'm sure you'll get some sound feedback on your question from they guys.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE