Laburnum Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a great spoon and the Laburnum is lovely - looks a great size for a camp spoon......atb mac

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Laburnum is poisonous, yes. Solution: don't eat the spoon. :rolleyes:

If the wood is oiled it is sealed, and you can use it without ill effect. Same for yew and the other poisonous woods.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
When you oil the wood you must be sure to use a naturally drying oil - walnut being favourite for me - and not anything like olive or sunflower and the rest which soak in and look great but never dry; so never seal the wood but go rancid instead, which can be a problem in itself; hope this helps...................atb mac

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
When you oil the wood you must be sure to use a naturally drying oil - walnut being favourite for me - and not anything like olive or sunflower and the rest which soak in and look great but never dry; so never seal the wood but go rancid instead, which can be a problem in itself; hope this helps...................atb mac

Exactly. Walnut is what I use too.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon

Soooo... If you've got stuff oiled with olive oil is there any benefit in going over it with a drying oil to rectify the problem?

Cheers,
Leif

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Further, not wanting to distract from the cracking spoons that are the point of this thread, is grape seed oil a drying oil? From a quick squint at what it says about the chemistry bit on wikipedia, a good level of linoleic acid suggests that it is, I think. But I'm not sure that I understood it well enough to be sure.

Cheers,
Leif

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I don't think grape seed oil is a drying oil IIRC, but in answer to your first question, just wash the spoon in the usual w/up liqiud and do it with a brush, leave it to dry, then dosh it over with a few coats of Walnut........

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Laburnum is a real nice wood, looks beautiful when finished and has a great grain pattern. This one was a bit of off-cut, but i'd love to have enough to make a full spoon. Great spoon there Heath.

14_zpsb35e2e63.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE