Kylie stick

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
Dec 10, 2015
436
230
South Wales
Having some free time on my hands I thought I would give a Kylie ago. Used for kangaroo and emus. Like a boomerang but it flies straight.

soldierpmr-albums-trout-picture20497-a.jpeg


soldierpmr-albums-trout-picture20496-a.jpeg


I think its Elm being new to the area is exposing me to new woods I've never worked with. If some one could correct me if I'm wrong though.

soldierpmr-albums-trout-picture20498-a.jpeg


Needs a little more sanding and a few throws to tune it.
 
Looking good, never heard of a kylie stick though..... which came first the stick or the pocket poppet? :naughty:
 
Saw the first pic, then was happy to see the second. Looks good! Whereabouts are you? Elm fits the first pic with the fibres showing, the bark pic looks like Hornbeam.

Both are strong very hardwoods so no matter.
 
I'm just up the valley from Swansea. I don't think the wood was hard enough and twisted enough for hornbeam. I was surprised at how much the colouration looked like birch in the fibers.
 
Leaves and flowers, in particular, for correct identification. Microscopic wood anatomy is like a fingerprint, assuming you have reference labelled microscope slides.

Here in British Columbia, there are boomerang hunters (aluminum) who go after Canada geese in lakeshore "no shooting" zones.
"Here, goosey, goosey!" Very effective neck breakers.
 
Reminds me of those lead topped throwing sticks used years ago to nail small game like squirrel and pigeon.

And I think they are legal to use, I made a thread years ago asking after watching a documentary that had them. They were straight, forearm length and crudely made. Looked like lead was simply melted and the stick dipped like a match.

Can you keep us updated when you get some more practice, distance , stopping power etc?? Curious yet again to the effectiveness of a stick to take small critters.
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE