Kyle of lochalsh trip...

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Was up North of Scotland for part of my promotional course and had a free weekend off, so packed a day sack and left the lads a grid reference. Started walking around the isle of skye up the mountains and such, popped in to see the leopard man living in lough na beastie. but it apppears he has moved into a home, so no free whisky for me.
Crossed over the skye bridge and into kyle for a quick pint of the local brew, then push on up to achtertrye hill through the pine trees overlooking balamacara house. got to watch the stags barking with the lough and the sun in the background, it was very still up there and felt very cool. got ontop at about midday and made a brew from the pine needles i collected on the route up, starting a fire with the flint and steel i got from Dragons breath on (bushcraftuk) and chopping the needles with my new knife from Wattle(bushcraftliving.com). Phoned the misses and kids back in Weymouth and took some photo's, looked over my shoulder and saw a massive snow storm flying towards me rapido. So collected my kit threw my dersert goretex on and did one. Came to a more direct route sliding most the way when the snow storm hit, managed to take a bearing before hand so no worries. found a loggers trail and had a fairly uneventful trip back to my hotel. Next time going to stop out over night i think.

showthread.php

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Tidy mate! My last ever EX in the Army involved a 3-day Initiative exercise Starting from the Kyle of Lochalsh and finishing in Cultibraggen Camp nr Perth, via Inverness and Edinburgh on the way. All unaided without any money or kit, just a letter from the Reggy CO to say who we were!
All this after completing a 7 day survival ex in & around Applecross!
Best Exercise I ever did.

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Thanks calibanzwei all to complicated for me, still trying to download pics straight to this site.......dhhhhhhhh
Greg your trip sounds like fun, reminds me of the movie about the cockleshell heros with the escape and evasion exercise bit.

Jay

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE