Kydex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
What is Kydex, it looks like plastic to me. What's the difference? And what is it like as a sheath

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
It a thermoplastic. Which basically means you can heat it up and shape it to the knife/tool in anyway you like. Its very secure, usually more so than leather. And it also enables you to wear it upside down, cross carry etc.
I prefer leather myself, but kydex is pretty good too.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
It's a special hard plastic material which can be formed into whatever you may like. Used among others in the SOG Seal 2000 knife. :wink:
I prefer leather, cause it's more nostalgic and easier to repair in the field.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Jake are you going to get someone to make you a leather sheath for when your Alan blade bushcrafter arrives or are you going to keep the kydex?

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Probably gonna keep the kydex, unless i have a wage bonus from work! The only knife i had with a kydex sheath was the cold steel mini-pendleton hunter. That was a decent little knife, and the sheath was good too.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
One minor downside of kydex: It's moulded around the knife under heat and pressure tending to give a fairly snug fit, this means that any dirt of grit that is trapped inside it can scratch the knife blade. It's not uncommon to see blades with fine scratches along the length of the blade due to this. No issue in a working knife, but a point to note.
Also , if the sheath isn't moulded so tight, then the blade can rattle in the sheath in a way that you don't get with leather.
On the plus side, as a durable, almost "engineering" plastic, kydex lends itself to the use of multi carry options including the use of rigid belt loops that let the knife be carried parallel to the belt and quickly to hand. Oviously it's totally impervious to weather, can be washed out if the knife gets sheather dirty, etc.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I read about a guy who fell from a tree 3-4 meters down. He landed on his Kydex sheath for his A1 Fällkniven and it broke! :shock:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Well, by february i would have completed my first year working for that particular shop. So i may get a few percent of the profits. 1%/2% perhaps. Which might be quite a fair bit.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
like may things in life, kydex is a great sheath material if it's done right. but loose fitting "clackers" are absolute horrors.

the best i've found are by allen blade and newt livesay. some may find that the livesay sheathes are a little too secure.

i generally prefer kydex to leather. no it's not quite as soulful. but it is a better day to day option. if you're a fair weather venturer, then perhaps leather would be adequate. :shock: :eek:):

cheers, and.

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Kydex is a great matterial for the outdoors and you don't have to worry about it getting wet and rusting your knife if it has adequate drain holes. I make both kydex and leather sheaths and while I like the look and feel and the smell of leather, a kydex sheath is definitely more practical in my opinion. It holds the knife very securely and safer as well. It wouldn't cost that much for a knife with a blade 3-4 inches long, definitely cheaper than a hand made leather sheath.

N

newtlivesay

G'day;
One minor downside of kydex: It's moulded around the knife under heat and pressure tending to give a fairly snug fit, this means that any dirt of grit that is trapped inside it can scratch the knife blade. It's not uncommon to see blades with fine scratches along the length of the blade due to this.

I have been forming KYDEX and other polymer sheet since 1989, and make around 3,500 to 4,000 KYDEX sheaths per year for both knives, and firearms. KYDEX has it good points and its bad. In reference to the "scratches?" KYDEX has a wearability or durability hardness of 57 on the Rockwell C-scale. This is a little harder than the majority of commercial knives on the market today. Commercial cutlery overall aren't made that "hard" for a number of reasons that I want get into now. One other thing; The "rattle" noise can be removed or quieted with dampers molded into the sheath as it is no big deal. If it is too tight in the case of a sheath knife wrap the blade before molding and give it a slightly larger form. Just the thickness of a layer of tape on each side will do wonders believe it or not.

KYDEX is an acrylic PVC compound thus it is "wear resistance" by the addition of the acrylic. Heat, pressure and/or vacuum is the preferred method of molding KYDEX as with PVC sheet, but the acrylic polymers are what makes KYDEX stand out.

KYDEX has two enemies; number one is high heat and the other is extreme cold.
I read about a guy who fell from a tree 3-4 meters down. He landed on his Kydex sheath for his A1 Fällkniven and it broke!
I saw one of these knives in my shop recently for the first time. The sheath was a molded one piece plastic of some kind? I didn't think it was KYDEX myself, but I could be wrong. If it was I could see why it might have broken from the design.

I carry a WOO neck knife in my truck with a length of parachute cord wrapped around the steering wheel housing and the knife hanging right at my ignition key. It is near invisible to see, and no one thinks anything about it if you have your hand in this area of the vehicle so it is easy to deploy. The insides of a truck in our part of the world can get up to 250* F in the summer days, but I have never lost that sheath. Now if the knife and sheath were to be thrown up on the dash, I would assume it would deform. (KYDEX molds at 325* F)
some may find that the Livesay sheathes are a little too secure.
Neck sheaths have to be secure or the knife will fall out. Other sheaths such as the In The Waist band, and Boot Knife styles sheaths can and do need to be loose fitting so as to facilitate easy removal.

Leather or KYDEX? I love a nice leather sheath and make them for many of my custom knives, but I do not use it on combat utility or survival cutlery. Leather will not hold up in the field like KYDEX will. KYDEX will not absorb moisture, mildew, or rot where leather will absorb over 250 times it's weight in moisture, mildew, and rot. It is the worst material for a sheath you can use in semi-tropic and tropical environments. Like I said I spend a lot of time in Central & South America now and leather sheaths want last a month in the jungle. If it doesn't rot something will eat it. KYDEX is the number one preferred sheathing material for military contracted knives right now. It isn't pretty sometimes, but it serves a purpose that leather can't fill.

Thanks
Newt Livesay

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Kydex also can provide an excellent retention feature. If you have a full or half guard the spendid deep scandinavian sheaths are out. This leaves us with the classic retaining loop that may or may not secure our knife. Kydex has enough flex to allow a slight overriding lip around the guard. I've found it provides sufficient tension to secure the knife yet allow rapid extraction. Many kydex sheaths come with a series of lanyard holes along the sides. You can neatly wind a good quantity of paracord using these and slip a few goodies underneath. A small flat diamond sharpening plate went under my old Cold Steel SRK. For those who insist on using a knife to pry, hammer or dig with, the sheath provides a measure of protection to the blade and user.

N

newtlivesay

Hello Sargey;
Thank you for the welcome. I noticed a large number of hits on our pages that were directly linked back to this forum so I decided to see what was going on. I never knew about this forum before, but have found it to be quite interesting, and appreciate the welcome.

Hope to read and learn more from some of your posting.
Thanks;
Newt Livesay
Siloam Springs, Arkansas
USA

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE