Kydex Winter Clothes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
First off an apology to Duncan as I really should have posted this to say thanks for the excellent work a few weeks ago.
I'm a huge fan of traditional leatherwork and traditional tools in beautiful leather sheaths, but as a paddler leatherwork sometimes gives me a few concerns and mooching around the woods at this time of year can certainly dampen things a bit. It started raising thoughts of the practicality of leather sheaths in a sodden environment. I know they can be treated and 60% of the time, for me a least, they're perfect for the job Its the 40% thats got me thinking (and though I could pack my knife and sheath in a dry bag to keep it safe or simply use a mora with a plastic sheath, there are times I'd like them to be more accessible [i know lots of justification for some new toys ;)]).
So I asked Duncan from Dorset Woodland Blades to make up a Kydex sheath for one of my bushtools and was so over the moon with the outcome I asked him to make up a couple more :rolleyes:.
The pictures don't really do them justice, the workmanship is superb, and Duncan's a great guy to work with. Anyway reading through some other threads Kydex had come up once or twice so I thought I'd post some pictures of the new winter clothing range.

Old & New

Snug in new clothes

Though not always a fan of the tacticool look, having used them the last few weeks in the pouring rain I can say I'm a huge fan of practicality and great workmanship, together they create their own beauty. Superb work and a goodjob

Also whilst visiting I had my loan axe with me that had never had a satisfactory mask of its own.
It has now

Once again Dunc' thanks for the great work, and I look forward to seeing you again.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
love the sheath - keep meaning to expand into kydex - something like that would fit well with my molle kit

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Simple, practical and very nice. I too like kydex for inclement weather, but now have the exact opposite problem of you. With winter here, I'm putting the kydex away until spring and am switching to leather sheaths for the cold, with the understanding that in extreme cold kydex can shatter.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Thanks for the heads up on the cold. Though I'm sure over here I'll have less to worry about than yourself bb07 with a look at your location :rolleyes:. I'll be lucky to see -10 let alone the extreme temps you get over there :hatscarf:

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Liking the sheaths and a couple of questions..

Is the webbing belt loop removable and if it is could a long under-the-coat loop be put in for winter clothing?

Are the loops in the kydex there for, or do they fit, a Maxpedition sheath like I've seen on other sheaths.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Sorry for the late reply. Couldn't get on at all yesterday for some reason!
Any way in answer to your question, yes the dangler loops are adjustable and removeable so you could easily swap for some longer tape to drop them lower ( to be honest there's enough tape already that I can adjust it to wear with my original swanndri and draw the knife without having to lift up the shirt hem.
As for the spacing (and I'm sure Duncan will chip in if I've got this wrong), everything has been made around 1 1/2 inch centre to centres (centre of one hole to centre of another) to make them compatible with most/all of the other molle type equipment/attachments on the market, fits a maxpedition pouch on the front perfectly, either with some of the Velcro joining tapes, a clip or thread some paracord around the body of the sheath (through the slots) and anything with a belt loop can be attached. Hope this helps - a

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE