Kuska Smoothing Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
How long ago was the birch felled? If it's quite fresh and the wood is still very green it's best to leave it to dry for a while before finishing. Green wood is quite fibrous and will easily become 'furry' as you're carving. Once it's dry it will be harder to cut but the tool will leave a good finish if you just work over the surface taking lots of little cuts. Much nicer than a sanded finish if you can manage it.
Nicola

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
It was felled a month or two ago but had been frozen up to the time i carved it. It was very green while carving the sap would pool. It carved very easy. I let it dry for a while and tried sanding and I after reading your post think it might still be too green. I carved this using a set of gouges. If i follow you correctly I can use a flatter gouge and go over my work taking smaller cuts and that should do it . Any idea on how long I should wait for it to dry? Last month temps were below freezing at night and this week we are 20-25 C during the day. I have been keeping the peices in an unheated room in my house should I move it to a more temp controlled area?

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
It was felled a month or two ago but had been frozen up to the time i carved it. It was very green while carving the sap would pool. It carved very easy. I let it dry for a while and tried sanding and I after reading your post think it might still be too green. I carved this using a set of gouges. If i follow you correctly I can use a flatter gouge and go over my work taking smaller cuts and that should do it . Any idea on how long I should wait for it to dry? Last month temps were below freezing at night and this week we are 20-25 C during the day. I have been keeping the peices in an unheated room in my house should I move it to a more temp controlled area?

I'd avoid letting it change temperature and humidity rapidly, eg. don't move from cold storage to heated room for drying. This risks splitting :( as it dries.

Others will be able to provide better advice, I suspect. Nicola?:)

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
There's so many variables it's always difficult to give advice! It sounds like it might still be quite green and drying it slowly is good to avoid cracking. However, as long you have a fairly even wall and base thickness and haven't used too close to the centre of the tree it should remain fairly stable so you could try moving it somewhere a little warmer now. Then leave it for a couple of weeks or so before attempting to re-work the surface. I use hook / crook knives so I'm afraid I can't really advise you about gouges - but if you've hollowed with them I'm sure you can finish with them. Just work gently over the surface taking a series of fine cuts ... and post a picture when you're done!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE