Kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
leon-1 said:
You can get them from The Trading Post, but they aren't cheap :)

Cheers for that! I knew I had seen them somewhere and must have lost the link. I heard they were being sold, does anyone happen to know if they are still trading?
I know they are expensive, but i have fancied one for ages and as for carving one, I doubt I have the skills or the patience, let alone the fingers to amputate!

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Viking said:
Looks more like a mug :?:

I might get you a handmade kuksa if you are interested?

Thanks for the offer, I might well be if you are able to find one for me.
You said it looks more like a mug? Were you talking about it's size or style and are there different types of kuksa?
Sorry to be so dim, but apart from seeing and liking the one on the link, I haven't seen others.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
This is what I call a kuksa
76-3963.jpg

76-3966%20s.jpg

And this is mugs

76-101-76-103-76-104-76-201.jpg

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Viking said:
This is what I call a kuksa
76-3963.jpg

76-3966%20s.jpg

And this is mugs

76-101-76-103-76-104-76-201.jpg

Thanks for that info. The only trouble of course is that I now like both :?:
Do you know hoe I can get one like the top photo?
PM me if we are going off topic.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
The best place to get one ata good price is to get one from the maker of these, there are some people that do these as a hobby. But they are also available in shops in the north and there are even some webshops selling these but I don´t know if they ship abroad.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
tomtom said:
might i suggest you get a crook knife... you will get more out of it.. and your Kuksa will mean more too!!

Tradition has it a Kuksa or Noggin should be either carved or given as a gift - traditional buying one wasnt an option. And once you've carved one you will see why giving one as a gift is such a highly regarded sign of friendship!

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
tomtom said:
might i suggest you get a crook knife... you will get more out of it.. and your Kuksa will mean more too!!

Thanks for the idea. I am sure I would get more out of it; more plasters and superglued lacerations, more trips to A&E, an ever increasing vocabulary of four letter words, more disdainful and exasperated looks from family. Need I go on?
And as far as any ragged, assymetrical, tissue and blood covered item that didn't go straight into the wood burner, would I ever want to use it other than alone and in darkness?

Seriously though, has anyone here made one and got tips or photos that may tempt me to try?

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Gary said:
Tradition has it a Kuksa or Noggin should be either carved or given as a gift - traditional buying one wasnt an option. And once you've carved one you will see why giving one as a gift is such a highly regarded sign of friendship!

If anyone is offering one as a gift it will be gratefully received :lol:
As to carving and giving one to a friend, the friends I have I value so much as to not want to humiliate them by giving them something I have produced :rolmao:

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Heres one I made from a field maple Burl

cup2.jpg

cup1.jpg

Very rewarding i love making them, ill see if i can find another good burl and ill do a walk through, burls are seriously hard so i would tape your fingers at any rubbing points to minimise blood loss :lol: *And keep your knife and crook knife as sharp as, i constantly check my blades when i carve burls, keep your honing paste and a peice of leather at hand if possible.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Hi Paganwolf,

For some reason I am unable to see those pics. I don't usually have a problem, sure there is some tech reason, or is it an omen trying to dissuade me from this project? :nono:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
beachlover said:
Hi Paganwolf,

For some reason I am unable to see those pics. I don't usually have a problem, sure there is some tech reason, or is it an omen trying to dissuade me from this project? :nono:
Thanks for that Paganwolf - see them fine now!
Great pics, tho I seriously doubt anything I produce could come close - did you bleach out the bloodstains? :yikes:
If you do ever make another and get the opportunity to take pics of the stages in the process I am sure that I wouldn't be the only person here who would appreciate it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE