Kuksa

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Been making this for the past week, it started life on Monday as a log and after much splitting, carving, hollowing and swearing it became this:

aaKuksa3-4-0923.jpg

aaKuksa3-4-0913.jpg

aaKuksa3-4-0918.jpg

aaKuksa3-4-0919.jpg

Carved from well seasoned cherry, antler handle added from some antler a mate in the States sent me, antler ends also capped in cherry, i smoothed the outside down, but decided in the end not to sand down the interior of the bowl.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Thats beautiful!! if I wanted to have a go at this what tools would I need and wheres best to get a lump of wood ( you mentioned well seasoned) there has been a lot of felling recently in the small copses near me not sure what timber it is but there are lots of nice bits. id say they were chopped back in November but have been lying around a while outdoors. Its when i see stuff like this I feel inspired to have a go.

cheers

Andy

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thats beautiful!! if I wanted to have a go at this what tools would I need and wheres best to get a lump of wood ( you mentioned well seasoned) there has been a lot of felling recently in the small copses near me not sure what timber it is but there are lots of nice bits. id say they were chopped back in November but have been lying around a while outdoors. Its when i see stuff like this I feel inspired to have a go.

cheers

Andy

I used a Frosts spoon knife, a Clipper knife and my axe that was it, i used the axe to rough out the shape then went to the knife. I only used well seasoned wood for this one as that was all i have in my wood pile at the moment, it's much much easier to carve from green wood tbh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE