Kuksa Wood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
Hey!

I live in south wester US and do not have acess to birch. I was wondering what other types of wood would (hehe) work for a kuksa. I have mostly pine, but would anything else work? Something that grows more in a hot enviroment would be nice, as I live in so-cal.

thanks!

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
If all you have is pine, you could use a big pine knot or find a very old pine stump that is saturated with pitch. A big root ball of most any hardwood tree may work. Burl is the best, beech, birch, maple, maybe oak if it is not too open, cherry might be nice and most any of the fruit trees.

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
Why use a knot of wood? Also why should I find one saturated with pitch? So most fruit trees will look acceptable? Thanks!

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Pine is very soft, but the knot is very hard and will be as good as any hardwood. Fatwood or pitchwood is the same way, very strong and hard as compared to regular pine. No need for a finish as it is finished all the way through. It makes great small items like spoons and cups and is waterproof.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE