Kuksa in willow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Here i smy first attempt at a kuksa I made it in willow as thats what I had.
All carverd with three knives (including the hole) Frost clipper Frost spoon knife and a SAK. I have not sanded it as I fancied a tooled finish and it is not oiled. The groove in the handle happened when I split the billet with the axe.

Kuksa2.jpg
[/IMG]

Kuksa3.jpg
[/IMG]

This shows the only real problem a knot at the bottom

Kuksa4.jpg
[/IMG]

Kuksa5.jpg
[/IMG]
and in the hand
Kuksa1.jpg
[/IMG]

All comments welcome

HDF

Feb 24, 2008
Bath Somerset
Wow that looks great. I'm gonna go down to the woods soon and look for some birch, I aim mine to look like yours with that great tooled finish.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I agree, the tooled finish is far more interesting and atractive than if it is done on a sanding machine, the little facet's reflect light nicely and when its been used/handled/washed/knocked about a bit etc the arrises at the edge of each facet wear down a bit so you get a variety of surface color.
Nice form brancho, I like the adventurous handle shape. I came across a few willow logs the other day about up to 6 inch diameter. What was the willow wood like to carve? I might make the effort to fetch some home.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I came across a few willow logs the other day about up to 6 inch diameter. What was the willow wood like to carve? I might make the effort to fetch some home.

Willow is quite good to carve altghough this was quite dry by the time I started so it was harder than it could have been

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Lovely I like it a lot. Like everyone else I like to tooled finish, not easy but if you can do it clean cuts with sharp tools tend to wear better than a sanded surface which can fluff up as it gets wet then dry. I like the way the handle sits up a bit in the first photo, just inviting to be picked up and I like the rounded bottom, does it tip about as you fill it up? I have one which I drink orange juice from in the morning and it rolls from side to side gently as you fill it. I guess originally they were designed for scooping water from streams.

WilS

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 3, 2008
North Wales
I love it. No power tools at all, thats how I like it. The job satisfaction is so much better that way, I reckon. Lovely bit o' whittling, well done. :)

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Lovely I like it a lot. Like everyone else I like to tooled finish, not easy but if you can do it clean cuts with sharp tools tend to wear better than a sanded surface which can fluff up as it gets wet then dry. I like the way the handle sits up a bit in the first photo, just inviting to be picked up and I like the rounded bottom, does it tip about as you fill it up? I have one which I drink orange juice from in the morning and it rolls from side to side gently as you fill it. I guess originally they were designed for scooping water from streams.
Robin I have to confess not to using it yet I want to seal the knot as it comes out of the bottom it is solid at the moment but I do not think it wil stay that way. I will let you know what it is like to use later today. I intend to use it this weekend when I go to camp with my Scouts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE