Kuksa, Chicken or egg sort of thing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I'm thinking of trying to make a Kuksa, if I do, would I be better carving the bowl first and then the outside, or would it be better doing it the otherway round? Do any of you have a preference or arguments for or against??

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I use a spoon bent gouge for the bulk of the hollowing out of a bowl, and the safest way to do this is to clamp it in a workmate or similar device, so not carving the outside first will leave more wood to grip on. This is just my preference, others may disagree.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I'd thought about that, but then I wasn't sure if it would be easier to judge the thickness if I did the bowl last. It makes sense though that it would be harder to carve the bowl so having as much wood to grip would be the best option, maybe even allow me to hold it in a vice. I want to try to do it with just knives and a saw. I've got a set of mora spoon knives that I'll be using. Well that's the plan anyway.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
If you are going to do the whole thing with spoon knives (i.e. hand held carving) then you will get on better doing the outside first. It is easier to get the shape right if you do the outside, and then hollow out , and also, as you say, easier to judge the thickness.
Some of my bowls that I hollowed out first have ended up very odd shapes when I have carved the outsides, but I just say that it is rustic charm!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I do the outside first to get a general size and shape, leaving a bit extra on for the fine carving later.
Then hollow out, and finish the handle.
Then a tickle over with the knife to tweek and thin out areas it and get it smooth(ish)
Then sand if I can be bothered. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE