Krill lamps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
Having read the review of a Krill lamp here on Bushcraft I was sufficiently impressed to buy a 360' Extreme.

It is an excellent replacement for a chemical stick - Taser's web site suggests that the light output is equivalent to a chemical light after 2 hours use. The light output is certainly good - easily enough to provide close-up lighting for reading etc. However, I think I will find it most useful as a marker for my gear when out camping, night fishing etc.

An excellent product and as I'm running it with rechargeable batteries the running costs are negligable!

RRP is £23 but I got mine for £17 from ODS at: http://outdoorsuppliesuk.com

Regards,

Andy

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
I had also read that the 180 puts out double the light (simply by screening off half of the tube) - however as i mainly plan to use my Krill as a marker i opted for the 360 - it would have been pretty silly to choose the 180 as a "location beacon" if it could only be viewed from certain angles! I do a lot of night sea fishing and hope that the Krill will help me find my kit a little easier....

Incidentally, there is also an indepth review of a Krill on equipped.com.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i had a 360 degree krill light as a free gift with a new tent, i was singularly unimpressed by it, the on/off switch was incredibly unreliable and when i finally managed to get it to switch on and stay on it gave off hardly and light at all, no where near as much light as a chemical light. i'm in a generous mood so maybe it was a one off, maybe the siwtch was just broken on my particular one and maybe there's some variation between how much light these things give off, so maybe overall they're alright as lights. i must admit that they do seem to be a very good idea and if mine worked properly i think it'd get quite a lot of use. anyway, just my two pence worth.
this is my first post to the forum, so hello everyone, nice to meet you, cracking forum, it's about time we had something like this in the uk.

btw, i'm pretty sure we got some money knocked off the price of the tent when we complained about the free gift being so poor and you'll be happy to know that the tent is very nearly everything i expected, so it all worked out ok, you can all stop feeling sorry for me know!!

:newbie: stuart

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Just a brief addendum on Krill lamps - if you use them diving, do NOT switch them off underwater. They've only the one O ring, and you break the seal if you do.

Guess how I know? Yup, night dive, let's all look at the pretty bioluminescence, torches off (or in my case concealed)...

Ah well, I got off lightly. Stripped out the batteries on the boat once I realised what I'd done (and why it suddenly stopped working), then flushed it with loads of fresh water. Cleaned the rust of the spring and allowed it to dry for a couple of days - and it still works fine (phew!).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE