kolrosing mora 120

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Very tidy Stuart! Did you use tape or anything to get such clean lines or muscle relaxants and freehand?

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Just seen this thread Stu - I like that: good idea and execution - I now have another thing on my list of 'Must try ...."

cheers chris. i'd like to take the credit for the idea but i just copied wayland in all honesty, although the "design" is mine i guess. you should give it a try chris, it's a remarkably easy process, this is only my third or fourth attempt and i'm close to be happy with the results already

stuart

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
VEry nice! I've read that section of Waylands site before, but I'd even struggle to draw an aesthetically pleasing design, let alone then carve it into the wood. Might give it a go though - practice makes perfect!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
VEry nice! I've read that section of Waylands site before, but I'd even struggle to draw an aesthetically pleasing design, let alone then carve it into the wood. Might give it a go though - practice makes perfect!

thanks for that :)

you should give it a go, the design doesn't have to be anything at all complicated, you could even just print something off the internet and transfer that onto the wood if you wanted

cheers

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
nice job, I like stuff like this, I've got the tools just need to get on with doing some :D

thanks for that tony :)

how did you hold the knife? with a vice and use both hands to "draw" the design? or did you hold with one hand and "draw" with the other?

i held it in one hand and drew the design with the other hand, but having said that i'm looking at getting some kind of little vice to hold the things i'm working on, mainly to stop gemma from panicking about the way i'm holding a razor sharp knife with the point pressing against my wrist! she does worry bless her :rolleyes:. to be honest though she has a very valid point, when i'm drawing the design i get so engrossed with what the pencil hand's doing that i completely forget that i'm holding a sharp knife in my other hand, if i continue to do knife handles in the way that i did this one (and don't tape blade up 'cos i don't want to get it sticky :eek:) i will end up cutting myself, and probably quite badly. you could just get a g-clamp and just clamp it to the edge of a table, that should work just fine.......in fact, why on earth didn't i think of that before, that'd stop her from worrying so much i'm sure. thanks for making me think :)

cheers

stuart

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Very nicely done! You might consider using the tape used by painters specifically for masking paint work. It peels off more easily than regular masking tape and leaves less or no residue. It is often blue in color.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
*snip*
if i continue to do knife handles in the way that i did this one (and don't tape blade up 'cos i don't want to get it sticky :eek:) i will end up cutting myself, and probably quite badly. you could just get a g-clamp and just clamp it to the edge of a table, that should work just fine.......in fact, why on earth didn't i think of that before, that'd stop her from worrying so much i'm sure. thanks for making me think :)

cheers

stuart

good idea, using a g-clamp, and I'm glad I made you think!
Also, I forgot to say earlier, very nicely done, especially one-handed! I usually hold and twist the knife lightly in one hand, while I hold the object with the other and push with the non-knife hand thumb. I find it stops me slipping past the lines, helping keep the design as intended. Not that I have done much, just signed a spoon, followed drawings done by family on bits of wood, as I'm not arty enough to make the designs, but am ok at making them permanent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE