Knotty problem

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
What's the best knot for securing a tarp? Or for guy-ropes in general. Should I just pull the cord tightly and anchor it to the ground or is it best to set it up as a guy-rope so that it can be adjusted and tightened if necessary? I'm not good with knots (understatement) and have been known to improvise with a slip knot on tent guy-ropes which - well - slip. Especially when it's peeing with rain as it was last time I did this and the ropes were soaked through and very slippery.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
For guy ropes I'd use a Tautline hitch at the tarp end (so you can adjust tension from in bed) and a clove hitch with the loose end around your peg.

Some sort of slip knot at one end of the tarp (slipped figure of eight) and a tensioning hitch at the other (either trucker's hitch or the one where you loop back and forth to tension - can't remember the name of that one).

HTH.

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
I recently got my first tarp and I was wondering about knots as well.

I am going to try the Siberian hitch for the slip knot at one end of the Ridge line.

To tension it I am going to use either the tarp taut hitch or the Powercinch

As for the guys I have been practising the Tensioning Hitch. Guy rope fixed at the peg and tensioned at the tarp end.

I will also be using either the Prussik or Klemheist to tension the ridgeline of the tarp when either suspended or draped over the ridge line.

Most knots mentioned in this post.

I like the idea they are quick release as long as they don't quick release in the middle of the night on top of me :D

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
Funny thing is I am brilliant at tying a secure knot for my garden hammock which involves some complicated figure of eight back on itself kind of movement with a doubled up nylon rope. I learnt it while watching the instructors anchor a rope for my daughter's climbing class but I have no idea what it's called!

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
And I must confess that I momentarily forgot how to tie said knot when setting up hammock at the weekend and ended up with a very sore backside as a result.....

Like the look of the tautline hitch and it looks nice and straightforward. And hey - I know the name of a knot.

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Funny thing is I am brilliant at tying a secure knot for my garden hammock which involves some complicated figure of eight back on itself kind of movement with a doubled up nylon rope. I learnt it while watching the instructors anchor a rope for my daughter's climbing class but I have no idea what it's called!

That would be a Figure of Eight knot :rolleyes:

The other regularly used knot used in climbing (but not in classes) is the bowline.

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
Excellent. Now I know the name of 2 knots that I can actually do. I do like that figure of eight one. Not only can I tie it and not only does it stop my hammock collapsing on me but it feels like I'm tying a "proper knot" too!

And tyfy it is exactly like the last one you linked.

You wouldn't believe I used to be a girl guide. Can't remember anything about guides beyond the fact I hated it.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
If you can't tie a knot tie a lot. :D

Not the best advice - tying knots in a rope lessens its load bearing capability - so the more knots you tie, the weaker it will become.

Best to learn a few choice knots and use them properly.

For Tarp, it's Evenk / Siberian hitch at one end, and tarp taut at the other, with the Tautline hitch for the guys, or sometimes those little plastic tensioners.

I use Evenk hitch for a hammock as well.

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
Cheers Michelle - it's good to meet a fellow guide hater :)

Fortunately, my daughter has run out of steam with Brownies and shows no inclination of moving on to Guides. My son is in the very worthy Sea Scouts where they seem to be nurturing a very healthy level of pyromania amongst the boys involved.

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
While the scouts are off kayaking next week and I sit and guard the kit on the beach as usual, I'll see how many different knots I can tie to impress Number One when he comes back. That or he'll be very unimpressed to come back and find all his lovely ropes in a tangled mess.....

Probably with me tangled up inside.

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
Scouts performing pyromania or me trapped in a tangle of ropes?

Whichever, I'm glad to be of service Dave!

Now how do I get emoticons into my postings?

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
Freestyle cats cradle. Now that I am going to adopt for the type of knot I've invented - much easier to remember, pronounce and spell than Gordian...................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE