Knots for tightening Tarp Ridgerope

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
What sort of knot do you use to tighten the ridgerope with. I have Rays book and have mastered the Evenk figure of eight hitch, but the other end eludes me.
Help someone. Please.
Ian.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I just put in an overhand loop, pass the bitter end around the tree and do a round turn through the loop. Then you can pull it tight (on a smooth tree anyway) with 2:1 purchase, and the bark friction and round turn hold it taut enough to make two half-hitches and a locking turn to secure it. I'm not sure how much sense this makes in text! If it's none, shout and I'll put some piccies up this evening.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
truckers_hitch_small.gif

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Which book are you looking in? I've got essential bushcraft in front of me and the 'Tarp Taut Hitch' on page 137 is the knot I use at the second end. It looks pretty self explanatory to me, and is a very good knot for securing the second end of your ridgeline. If you can't envision the tying of this knot, watch bushcraft series 1 and Ray shows these knots being tied. Picture perfect pause helps a lot with this, video would be a nightmare!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
mojofilter said:
I use the truckers hitch for anything that needs tensioned, cant find a good illustration at the moment. Sounds pretty much like hobo is saying.
Try this link
http://uk.geocities.com/zzar_bean/dk2.html
It is also called a dolly knot, the version you posted a picture of may not release as easily as a truckers hitch/dolly knot. It is a lot easier to use if you have a hook to pass the loop over so th knot is made in the rope without passing the end through. If there is no hook a krab works.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I use an evenk knot and a prussiky type thing to get it tight...

Good advice I got that rings true is you can forget knowing every knot known to man by just putting loads of manky knots in a rope.

I've used this before and although it may take an hour to undo the knot(s) what really matters is that you don't get wet/fall on the floor/fall down a cliff. ;)

Joe

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Goose said:
Try this link
http://uk.geocities.com/zzar_bean/dk2.html
It is also called a dolly knot, the version you posted a picture of may not release as easily as a truckers hitch/dolly knot. It is a lot easier to use if you have a hook to pass the loop over so th knot is made in the rope without passing the end through. If there is no hook a krab works.

You're right Goose, but it was the closest pic I could find :rolleyes:

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
Hi,

I use an Evenk at one end and do the following at the other, hope this makes sense! :)

For the other end I wrap the rope round the tree and pass it over over the standing part (ridge line), pulling it tight. Then come under the standing part and back round the tree, pull tight, go over the standing part and pass it back under the line and round the tree again.

Each time you do this it tensions the line a bit more, several passes and you can get it nice and tight. Onve you have it tight you can finish of with any knot you like to secure it, I use a chain like knot that comes undone with one pull like the Evenk one.

There, clear as mud!

Simon.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I use the taughtline hitch (didn't know its called that though) when securing loads and all sorts of jobs. Uses minimal baler twine :)

Cheers

Mark

mbatham

The end I want to ancohor is normaly a highwayman's hitch and the end I want to tighten is half sheep shank, similar to the truckers hitch mentioned before., Both these knots will come undone when you can't feel your fingers.

This all depends on myu mood and the weather though. The evenk overhand knot I use sometimes, as well as a prussicky thype thing.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I've got Hilleberg guy line and line runners on my tarps, but the knot to use is the tautline hitch, which is a rolling hitch tied back onto the standing part.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Do you not find that the tautline can slip with synthetic cord as it runs on its own standing part? That's why I prefer the midshipman's configuration. :)

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
innocent bystander said:

They are slightly different in an important way - the tautline has two half hitches one after the other , the midshipmans has the two half hitches tied loose intitially so that the second pulls in front of the first. This creates more friction - this is great for slippery synthetics but makes it harder on a rough thicker rope. Horses for courses. Your link actually points that out, though not as clearly as actually trying it. I still don't fully understand the mechanics of it but try tying both and you'll sit there scratching your head like i did :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE