Knot Booklet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

75RR

Jan 12, 2014
Caracas
Just thought I would mention that the Knot Booklet has been designed so that one can zoom in a little bit before the image gets fuzzy.
Read somewhere that most people do not use the zoom feature much, for those that would like to try it, it is there if you want it.

Thanks to Tiley, crowded-solitude, bearbait and CheeseMonster for posting.

Last edited:

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Nice little book, certainly one I'll add to my rather large collection thanks for sharing.
One initial comment the timber hitch and half hitch is also known as a combination is known as the killick hitch, most knot books tend to miss this but I have also seen another book call the half hitch a killick as well.

I know the list can on forever but you will always find someone with a different favourite knot.
One little knot which very few books list is the snuggle hitch I was introduced to it from a friend at work as he uses it all the time to secure items to his bicycle and motorbike.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snuggle_hitch

75RR

Jan 12, 2014
Caracas
Liked the Snuggle Hitch, but adding knots to the booklet is rather complicated and time consuming.
Is your friend familiar with the constrictor knot? It serves much the same function and has the additional virtue that it can be tied in the bight.
Will however add the snuggle hitch to the "if there ever is a 3rd edition, wish list".
If I do add all the knots on this list, there is a serious risk of ending up with a knot book. Which was never my intention.

Thanks to awarner, Birdingben and Fjord for your comments.

Last edited:

roibica

Apr 8, 2009
Bucharest
Great booklet, just one small suggestion, make a more compact version, like an A5 paper, and try to put one knot per page, no more instructions, just diagrams and safety notes. I think it will be usefull in the field for the beginner

75RR

Jan 12, 2014
Caracas
...just one small suggestion...

It would seem we have a different understanding of "small"!
Drawings were designed to simplify tying the knot as much as possible, so in a way, they are "stand alone".
However I do feel that the text is an integral part of the booklet. (Put a fair amount of Blood, Sweat and Digital Ink into it)
Besides, beginners are among those who would most likely benefit from the text.

Thanks to rorymax, sandbender and roibica for your comments. Glad you all liked it.

Last edited:

farfoodle

Forager
May 2, 2013
Oxfordshire
Just trawling though the sticky posts I'd not read. This knot book is fantastic - very clear. I agree with roibica's suggestion that a small format, graphical presentation would make a good field guide, but the information and style of your knot pictures I find very very easy to follow. Many thanks for posting this up - very helpful.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It would seem we have a different understanding of "small"!
Drawings were designed to simplify tying the knot as much as possible, so in a way, they are "stand alone".
However I do feel that the text is an integral part of the booklet. (Put a fair amount of Blood, Sweat and Digital Ink into it)
Besides, beginners are among those who would most likely benefit from the text.

Thanks to rorymax, sandbender and roibica for your comments. Glad you all liked it.

Indeed, enjoying it very much.

I agree with some of the comments here that a 'portable' version should be something you look at in the future, but getting something smaller that is still as clear will be tricky.

:)

75RR

Jan 12, 2014
Caracas
Thanks to farfoodle, sandbender, John Fenna, richardhomer, MickeyW and duttytd for your posts.
Glad you liked the Knot Booklet.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE