Knives on Ryanair?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Anybody had problems with knives in the hold luggage on Ryanair? Their blurb says "NO", but do they check?:confused:
Flying to Sweden later this year and wanted my knife with me.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Ted there is no problem if you put them in the hold, I fly to Sweden every year with Ryanair and have had no problem with knives, axes and saws, in fact the biggest problem we have had was with one of our party who had his rucksac unpacked in front of him, out came a knife and saw which was no problem, the problem they had was with a meths burner stove.
Their terms and conditions state that knives can be carried in the hold as long as they are wrapped.
http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions

Have a good trip

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
could you just make sure that the burner is empty of fuel completely and pack it with the lid off?

im sure its not actually the burner they are bothered about more the flammable liquid therein.

If you burn off the fuel and then pack itempty in seperate pieces in your hold luggage that might satisfy them. you could ring and check, then again they are cheap enough just buy a new tatonka one then it doesnt matter if it gets confiscated, and im sure they can be sourced abroad easily enough.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'm guessing here but,
I recon the problem would be with the fuel (or smell of it) rather than the actual burner. Dry it thoroughly before travelling and don't carry flameable liquids (as in their advice) and all should be groovy. You'll just have to restock with meths when you get to your destination - and repeat the process on the way back.

ATB

Ogri the trog

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
The burner had been burnt out of all fuel and no fuel was carried, they were just asking the questions, but no trouble after it had been explained.
If your taking a burner just burn it out and double wrap it.This was the first and only time we have been questioned over it.
As for fuel, Preben the owner of the centre where you are going sells it amongst other kit in his shop on site so no problem there either.:)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I'm guessing here but,
I recon the problem would be with the fuel (or smell of it) rather than the actual burner. Dry it thoroughly before travelling and don't carry flameable liquids (as in their advice) and all should be groovy. You'll just have to restock with meths when you get to your destination - and repeat the process on the way back.

ATB

Ogri the trog

What he said. ;)

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I carried my knife and laplander in the hold luggage on the way to Norway last Sept with Ryan air no problem .
Also I carried a trangia burner empty with no problem ,Just heat it empty so theres no smell .
Petrol station normaly sell meths sold as rodsprit
21.jpg

Twodogs

Last edited:

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Ted there is no problem if you put them in the hold, I fly to Sweden every year with Ryanair and have had no problem with knives, axes and saws, in fact the biggest problem we have had was with one of our party who had his rucksac unpacked in front of him, out came a knife and saw which was no problem, the problem they had was with a meths burner stove.
Their terms and conditions state that knives can be carried in the hold as long as they are wrapped.
http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions

Have a good trip

Thats basically what i said you senile old fart!! :pokenest:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have taken knives and Trangias all over the world on various carriers - USA, Morrocco, Ghana, Croatia, South Africa, Thailand etc - and never had a problem - as long as there is no scent of fuel and it all travels in the hold then things are cool.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Another thought, for lightness maybe I'll take my Pocket Rocket instead of the Trangia - can I get gas cannisters easily in Sweden? Steve A, does Preben sell these too?
Cheers, Ted W

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Not taken too much notice as I've never taken a gas stove, sorry.I think they were the puncture type but you may well pick the threaded type cannister up in Arjang.
I'd stick to the Trangia myself, that and over the fire is all you will need.

Mar 18, 2010
kent
Stick it in your luggage.
But if they find it they may confiscate it.
I was told I couldn't take crackers at Christmas!
They do sell good,cheap knives in Sweden.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE