Knives for younger people

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
Hi All, I'm looking for recommendations for small handled/ bladed knives for some simple skills and techniques with children (yes and I'm happy with all my H&S set up in this regard) it's for 8-15 year olds, I love the Mora knives and can't touch them for the money, but a little large for some of my guys and can be off putting to them, I also use the opinel knives but not happy with the twist locking system.
Any recommendations or supplier details

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
An enzo necker would be a great knife for small hands and will still be useful when they grow too. Check them out at Brisa.fi

there are small Moras look at the 106 carver available with a couple of handle choices

http://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/morah.html

fm281209bL.jpg

fm281209l.jpg

mora060912.jpg

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
We use a variety of knives of different sizes as the hand size varies so much over that age range with our Cubs/scouts.

BTW it really helps to talk in model numbers or names there a lot Mora knife models out there look HERE

We use Mora Scouts for small hands can be found HERE

As they grow we switch them to Mora Vikings but now we would buy Craft Line Q seen HERE

we also have some Mora 780 that are good for those with big hands.

Here is a Scout and a viking

P2252737 by alf.branch, on Flickr

A scout in my hand

P2252739 by alf.branch, on Flickr

A viking in my hand

P2252740 by alf.branch, on Flickr

A scout 780 and a re handled broken 780 we also use

Broken Mora rehandled by alf.branch, on Flickr

One of our Cubs with a Scout knife

P1261086 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
there are small Moras look at the 106 carver available with a couple of handle choices

http://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/morah.html

fm281209bL.jpg

fm281209l.jpg

mora060912.jpg

I wouldn't be so keen on the 106 for inexperienced kids as the handle is symmetrical and not guarded. I allow the more experienced to use mine though. Even the more experience like my ASL the other night who owns a one of these cut his thumb when not paying attention and trying a push cut with the blade facing his thumb.:nono:

The 105 would be better but I do not like the handle shape.

The last one the woodcarving basic I am looking to buy some of them soon.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
. Even the more experience like my ASL the other night who owns a one of these cut his thumb when not paying attention and trying a push cut with the blade facing his thumb.:nono:
Done that myself, ironically while supervising a bunch of 13-year olds doing green woodworking.

I wouldn't be so keen on the 106 for inexperienced kids as the handle is symmetrical and not guarded. I allow the more experienced to use mine though. Even the more experience like my ASL the other night who owns a one of these cut his thumb when not paying attention and trying a push cut with the blade facing his thumb.:nono:

The 105 would be better but I do not like the handle shape.

The last one the woodcarving basic I am looking to buy some of them soon.

you can buy the blades and fit your own handles

or grind down a larger Mora blade to suit

the New woodcarving basic dont seem to be the same Laminated blade the 106/107 use

Im am of the school that a few MINOR nicks and cuts are a good thing and essential as part of learning (probably why i wont teach other than my own ;) ) A better reminder to pay attention than some one just saying all the time. :eek:

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Funny how opinions can differ isn't it?
I recommend Opinels to cubs (8-10.5) because of the twist lock no7 are perfect for their little hands.
We use Mora Vikings to teach cubs and scouts (8-14) with no problems and leaders use them too.
My son has the scout, but is probably getting too big for it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I recommend Opinels to cubs (8-10.5) because of the twist lock no7 are perfect for their little hands.
We use Mora Vikings to teach cubs and scouts (8-14) with no problems and leaders use them too.

My 8yr old son has the rounded "my first opinel" - we got it him for a few reasons.
He has an enthuisastic 4 yr old brother, who will want to have a go.
It has an air of safety which will reassure other non knifey people - especially adults.
If he throws it it won't stick in something therefore he wont throw it into something.
I can grind a sharp point on it at a later date when I judge he's ready.
It locks closed as well as open

He can also use my knives. But this one is his and lives in his desk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Im am of the school that a few MINOR nicks and cuts are a good thing and essential as part of learning

Spot on Duncan - I doubt there is a person here who didn't nick themselves with a penknife. We all had them in cubs - and sheath knives at a young age. I'm sure we all nicked ourselves (or in my case needed stitches). I wouldn't swap my childhood for the modern "scared of everything" life kids are condemned to.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Would the Hultafors craftsmen range be suitable? The blades are shorter than Mora's. 89 mm (3 1/2") according to Heinnie's. The safety version even has the point rounded off, which may be suitable for younger children. They're about £5 a pop from amazon.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
you can buy the blades and fit your own handles

or grind down a larger Mora blade to suit

the New woodcarving basic dont seem to be the same Laminated blade the 106/107 use

Im am of the school that a few MINOR nicks and cuts are a good thing and essential as part of learning (probably why i wont teach other than my own ;) ) A better reminder to pay attention than some one just saying all the time. :eek:

I agree with all of that and we have mostly only had minor cuts often only noticed when it is spotted the wood is turning red.
Its a pity that the blade on the basic isn't laminated but I will still buy some.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Would the Hultafors craftsmen range be suitable? The blades are shorter than Mora's. 89 mm (3 1/2") according to Heinnie's. The safety version even has the point rounded off, which may be suitable for younger children. They're about £5 a pop from amazon.

Children do not need rounded blades IMO.
Hulfators Knives are very good I would buy them.
BTW MORA is brand (and Town) not a single version of a knife there are many version of Mora knife and they make short one too you know.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria

Duggie
You will probably find that some of the Cubs will do better with a smaller handle as they will have more control and power with a handle that fits their hand.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Duggie
You will probably find that some of the Cubs will do better with a smaller handle as they will have more control and power with a handle that fits their hand.

Alf,
I've moved on to Scouts now, but we only taught the basics of knife use with the Vikings and the majority got their parents to buy them penknife to go and use on camps etc.
Regards
Shaun (Duggie is the collective name given to a leader in our group once you've done something stupid)

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Children do not need rounded blades IMO.
Hulfators Knives are very good I would buy them.
BTW MORA is brand (and Town) not a single version of a knife there are many version of Mora knife and they make short one too you know.

I would also agree that children don't need rounded blades.

I'm aware there are many versions of Mora. The OP simply mentioned a Mora, so I assumed he was referring to a clipper/companion.

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
Thanks everyone, just the kind of info and experiences I was hoping for.
Appreciate the work posting (esp with pictures and links etc)

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Shack, one word of warning - I would avoid the sloyd (small pointed carving blade such as the 106) and crook knives for young/beginners as they are almost guaranteed to cause an injury to inexperienced hands.

The crook knives in particular can cause a gouge type of injury rather than a laceration.

You probably were aware of that anyway, but I thought it was worthwile pointing it out :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE