Knives for gifts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks
OK, so I want to handle a few blades for people for Christmas. I know it's a bit far off, but I need to make sure I've got them done :rolleyes:
I'm making them for four people altogether, three of my best friends and one for my dad.
All four will have Lauri 95 carbon steel blades, I've decided on handle shapes and I've finished designing two of them, the other two are still being designed...

My dad's will have an olive handle (he's a huge olive fan, even bought a wee olive tree :rolleyes:)

David's a Commi, so I've decided on a bright red & black stained handle with a hammer & sickle sign I pulled off an old Soviet hip flask epoxied to the butt plate. The wood will be cherry, just 'cause I like the grain. It'll mostly be for decoration, because he's not into Bushcraft or anything but he does like knives...

Methinks 'Manda's will have a very dark red and black handle, also in cherry, but I'm not sure about what else to do... I might etch the blade with something, but I'll have to get in some practice first... this one will have to be fully functional as she's wanting to learn some outdoorsy skills.

Heather's will be purple & black, again in cherry due to the grain. I might use a shorter blade (I was thinkin' 85 or 77mm Lauris) for Heather's and 'Manda's because they're both quite small, and I like handles to be proportionate to the blade... this'll be another decorative piece, she's not into Bushcraft either, but again likes knives.

It's really Amanda's and Heather's knives that are troubling me. I feel like doing something fancy with them but I don't know what. Maybe carving the butt of the handle into something? Dunno.

I also need to make sure that David and Heather's knives don't have any animal-based products in them, (they're vegetarians....) so no horn spacers or leather sheaths. Anyone know a good alternative to leather sheaths? I won't be able to form plastic, so I think that's out... dunno, maybe I'll make leather sheaths and tell them they're artificial :rolleyes:

On a sidenote, I've also designed a knife for yours truly! Lauri 95 Carbon Steel blade, curly birch handle with buffalo horn spacers... should be fun to make if nothing else.

I don't reckon I'll have too much trouble making these... I'm good with woodworking and the only holes I'll have to drill will be for the tangs. Won't be touching the blades at all until I glue them in and give them a sharpen. Which is a benefit over the Clipper rehandling brouhaha :rolleyes:

Anyways, what do y'all think? Any design suggestions? Anything at all? I'm getting a stomach ulcer just thinking about it...

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
What's kydex like?
Maybe I should try a wooden sheath, could be an interesting experience if nothing else... and I saw a nice tutorial as well...

OutBackP

Jul 5, 2006
Bridport, Dorset
Reading on wikepedia yesterday it suggested that you tape a penny to the blade. When giving a knife, they are then meant to give the penny back as a form of payment. So it says that giving a knife to a friend will severe the friendship. I'm sure I've heard of it before but can't remember where. Any one know?
It sounds a nice thing to do though, just in case!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Reading on wikepedia yesterday it suggested that you tape a penny to the blade. When giving a knife, they are then meant to give the penny back as a form of payment. So it says that giving a knife to a friend will severe the friendship. I'm sure I've heard of it before but can't remember where. Any one know?
It sounds a nice thing to do though, just in case!

I'll remember that, cheers mate :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE