Knives and the Extractive Economy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Mod Note.
Moved here from thread Best Bushcraft Knife to Buy? thread where the original poster was from Berlin, and another German linked to a review on YouTube to support their recommendation of a good knife. This was a response but is also a sufficient change of direction that it deserves its own thread.

Serious protest in Deutschland over a lignite mine that will destroy a rural village and native wild. I recall a similar Black Forest protest some years past.
Curious, None of the big outdoor names in Europe lending their voice of support?
Selling knives on YouBoob is just as much extractive economy.
During Redwood Summer one hand opening sheepsfoots were the knife for rappelling the Coastal redwoods.
Maybe this is a class of bushcraft knives worthy of discussion?
“We stand for what we stand on”

Last edited by a moderator:

R_Fonseca

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2021
Dublin
www.fonseca.ie
I can't think of one, but I'm following this thread with interest. I had previously seen the Marrttiini brand as one that had those values, but now with them moving production, I'm not so sure. Also not so sure how much to buy into the environmental garb anyway. It's all from the marketing research data touchpoints - how much is real and how much is lip service?

So someone sits in a meeting where the numbers say that 78% of clients care about the environment and sustainability, 60% care about local production, etc. - next thing (as an example) Mora is saying "We use recycled Swedish stainless steel" instead of saying 12c27 or 14c28n.

Manufacturers care about turning profits. Not sure how many do an environmental impact study when they launch a new model, or colour. I think most corporates want to do good for the environment... unless it interferes with their targets.

In the same way, I order my paracord from a certain site that has it made in a certain country and has to travel halfway across the world so I can save a few bob. Am I doing my part?

From my end more research is needed to see which companies I'll support in future.
P.S. reading this back I realise how cynical I sound now - but posting anyway for the sake of the conversation - which is an important one.

Reactions: gibson 175

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Serious protest in Deutschland over a lignite mine that will destroy a rural village and native wild. I recall a similar Black Forest protest some years past.
Well, that is what large open pit mines do but it is called progress you know.

Curious, None of the big outdoor names in Europe lending their voice of support?
They mostly do it when it pays off in some way. They also like their warm houses now that Vlad the Red has stopped gas flows.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Neo Tribal knife making, al la Tai Goo? Hand forged to near net shape using an old wash tub full of wood ash, charcoal from local wood, hand driven blower, steel from recycled old vehicle suspension springs, glued into local natural wood handle with mix of pine resin and dry deer droppings (melted bits of plastic can be used but are frowned upon by eco-purists ;)).

• Haha
Reactions: R_Fonseca and TLM

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I made the above post somewhat in jest, but neo-tribal metal working is a thing and I have watched a video with Tai Goo and another maker who demonstrated these methods, including the natural fibre reinforced resin adhesive.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I made the above post somewhat in jest, but neo-tribal metal working is a thing and I have watched a video with Tai Goo and another maker who demonstrated these methods, including the natural fibre reinforced resin adhesive.
Of course it works but but but the result is not going to be better than decent industrial products. Really a curiosity, good to know though, that is where it started.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE