Knitting with Knotweed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
The quality of the finished product is truly impressive and the loom deserves a closer look as well.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I fit is knotweed that could cause some environmental issues and I'm fairly sure you can get done if you don't destroy it after cutting it down... Although that probably depends on where you live...

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
redneck said:
are you absolutely sure that was knotweed????

No, not sure at all. It made for convenient alliteration in the title, although the fleeting glimpse of the foliage that the video gave us, reminded me of Japanese Knotweed straight away.

I fit is knotweed that could cause some environmental issues and I'm fairly sure you can get done if you don't destroy it after cutting it down... Although that probably depends on where you live...

I'm not so sure about the foliage; destroying it doesn't get anywhere close to killing the thing. There are certainly strict controls on what you can & can't do with the roots and soil which may contain them.
When we had it, I treated the area concerned with regular and generous applications of chlorate weedkiller ( it was still allowed then) until it stopped growing back.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2016
New England
Here in the New England, knotweed looks like bamboo, but in a bush form. Highly invasive. If you cut the root into 20 pieces, you will get 20 new plants. The dead stalks can be processed for fire making.
Looking at the vid, that plant they were using did not have any nodes like knot weed has, plus knot weed stalks are hollow and have a very thin wall structure. At first I thought it looked like nettles ?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE