Knitting machines?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
There's one of these Jones Knitting Machines in my Parents loft. I helped them clean it up a bit recently. Its been there for over 40 years. But is in perfect nick.

http://www.knittingmachinemuseum.com/Jones_KH800.php

I dont have a clue how to use it.
What should I do with it? Is it difficult to master?
Could I make a cool alpaca bush shirt from it relatively easily, or is it a bit of a 'dark art?'

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Brilliant machines- we have one which came via an aunts loft- have used it to make loads of scarves! Really quick to use for straight bits of knitting- haven't used it for anything more complicated than that

cheers

Joab

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Not difficult to use once you know what you are doing, my mum has three of them, once you have gained a bit of experience on them, you can make all sorts of different things

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There are loads of instruction manuals available online. Did your mother never use it ? and if she did so, she might be a fair bit of help if you start things off. Failing that put an add in the local shops asking for help to make sense of it.
There are magazines and online forums for enthusiasts too.
Expensive woollens made on them are called 'Hand Framed Knitting'. If you've got the tensions etc., all balanced they're fairly easy to work, patterns are pretty geometrical and it's usually just a matter of counting rows and stitch numbers.

I gave mine away to a charity that services them and then sends them to a school in Africa where handicapped children are taught to use them, and service them. It's a way of giving them a way to earn a sustainable living.
Tbh, I'd rather knit by hand, but I'm lazy that way and am happy to pick up and put down; it's best not to leave knitting hanging around on the machine, and after a bit the constant swish/swish/swish/swish does my head in :eek:
Best of luck with it :D

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE