Knifemaking steel - the last of the UK Crucible stock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
MODS - feel free to move/delete if this is considered beyond the boundaries of the classified ads.

Excess to my requirements we have here the very last of the UK Crucible knife steel stock.

I tend to make less than twenty knives/swords/axes (let's just call them projects) most years; at least half of those are pattern welded from carbon/tool steels and I reckon that my own stock of Crucible stainless will last me beyond the next decade or so, so, here we are:

crucible.png

Dimensions are obviously listed in inches.

Once this lot is gone you will have to import your own from where-ever/whatever source you can find - last time I did this the overall shipping and duty costs on a per-piece basis were horrific.

That's not so much sales pitch as reality - this stock can sit idle as long as it likes in my workshop or, if any makers out there have a use for it, here it is.

It is listed at the price I paid for it - I have not marked it up for profit or any other nonsense, so I am making nothing out of this other than 'spreading the joy' by sharing a dwindling resource.

Delivery will depend largely on total weight and/or the number of pieces involved but, to give you an idea, I have access to a corporate DHL account with a flat rate of £6 for any parcel up to 10KG in weight to any standard UK address, so delivery need not be a killer.

154CM is a superb steel, one of my long-time overall favourite stainless steels; CPM154CM is even better (given the right heat treatment) and I am sure that S30V and S90V need no introduction to the members of this forum.

These steels all respond particularly well to a liquid nitrogen soak and I have found that three 2 hour tempering cycles gives the best overall result for them.

Please don't ask for a small piece cut from any particular length - they are sold as-is or not at all and I won't be getting into "a little bit of this and a little bit of that".

As I say, if this strays beyond the acceptable boundaries of the classifieds then my apologies to all concerned and mods feel free to remove the thread.

This is the last UK opportunity for these steels at this price, and I hope to see at least some of the stock turned into working knives by the makers on this forum and, in turn, used by its members.

Over to you :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE