Knifemaking feedback - All appreciated!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ejtrent

Maker Plus
Jun 19, 2013
Bournemouth
Thank you for taking so much time to write such detailed ffeedback- i really appreciate it :)

The knife is much like how i make my ffurniture- simple clean lines and relativity unadorned.

I will learn more in time im sure but for now my blade shapes are born from a belt sander in a vice and scraps of plywood :) it has a marginal constant taper on both top and bottom- subtle is the key for me it seems!

I really appreciate all of your time- thank you!

:)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I myself do three styles of handles.
One curved with an assymetric (left /right side) - gifts for people where I do not know their knife kills.
One straight with a drop shaped profile ( like the Yakut knives) - just for fun
One hybrid, Yakut shape with a small ( maybe 3mm) quillon

Myself, my family and the few people that I have gifted my amateurish creations love the hybrid handles.

Steel - knife nerds like us love Carbon, but the beginner and 'normal' people like S/s.

Over the course of 50 years of knife use, I have destroyed maybe 2 or 3 Carbon knifes where the tang has rusted and snapped = so basically my own negligence. All stick tangs.( The only knives I own have a stick tang)

But, hand on heart, is there really a felt difference between a S/s and Carbon blade you can feel in using and sharpening?
I somehow doubt most users can feel it.

I think your knife is very nice! Hat off to you for making your own blade!

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I like what on the face of it is a simple and alternative design but dislike the choice of handle materials from a purely aesthetic point of view.

Need to think what I'd like to see and by way of alternative materials and pairing of same.

K

ejtrent

Maker Plus
Jun 19, 2013
Bournemouth
Have 12 blanks (10 full size, 2 offcut stubby ones) painted up with descaler ready for the kiln tomorrow morning, think out of the 10 full size it will be 3 FFG, 3 sabre and 2 scandis - I imagine to sell them here I'll need to upgrade to maker plus but I'll contact the mod team and let you know!

32756167_10156303800327270_2882705852060401664_n.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Have 12 blanks (10 full size, 2 offcut stubby ones) painted up with descaler ready for the kiln tomorrow morning, think out of the 10 full size it will be 3 FFG, 3 sabre and 2 scandis - I imagine to sell them here I'll need to upgrade to maker plus but I'll contact the mod team and let you know!

View attachment 49031

Looking forward to seeing them. :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Its a good looking knife. It will cut stuff
I personally would make it slightly more pointy but its fine as is

Janne, i can deffo feel the difference between carbon and s/s in sharpening

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I can not to be honest. The hardness is so close on my knives, HRC 57-61 or so ( except the exotic steels in Fallknivar) that they feel virtually the same.
But then I am absolutely no expert or connoseur when it comes to angles or polishing!

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
It is difficult to tell from photographs how a thing actually looks. But, it appears that the double lanyard holes are too close to the edges of the handle, perhaps as a result of shaping the handle. As a signature device, it could work well but not if, in the execution, it suggests some lack of planning or forethought in the design ... totemically, one's knife can be as much a reminder of principles and processes as it is a thing for shaving wood or popping bottle caps, for instance.

Again, not seeing the thing in the flesh, the handle looks like it is a bit blocky. There is much to be said for a more or less neutrally profiled handle, leaving room for the hand to improvise. But it takes a bit of thought and expertise to get there, I guess. Gene Ingram does it well, as does Stuart Ackerman. Historically, Bark River have been less accomplished at it. Look at Fallkniven's TK1 if you can, or Tapio Wirkala's puukko. Some love that style of zero degree handle, some hate it (saying function is sacrificed for an aesthetic principle). The point is that they are nuanced, and whilst some might like a completely neutral, even cylindrical handle (as on a Frost), a knife isn't a chisel.

At the same time an appropriately formed handle that reflects the habits and mechanics of grip and physical fluency, like one of Chris Claycomb's or Jukka Hankala's or Alan Wood's can be a really rewarding thing to use, allowing great dexterity whilst providing a positive sense of confidence and purpose.

One approach isn't better than the other. In the end, the question is 'does it answer well to what's asked of it'. Assessing the communicativeness of the handle involves some subjectivity, but also a fair bit of philosophy of use which realizes itself in the making.

If you can, try getting hold of a lot of knives, production and custom, on loan or just buy and resell as necessary for research. If you were at design school, having got so far with the aesthetics, you'd be being pushed at this point to do that kind of extensive research and thinking about how you marry the look of a thing to its ergonomic questions. You'd be encouraged to be appropriately innovative formally as well as keeping an eye on how you articulate that novelty with tradition and convention.

It is a very good looking knife, by the way :)

Last edited:

Bionic

Forager
Mar 21, 2018
Bomber county
As above, that London plane looks gorgeous. Out of interest how have you applied your makers mark, is it stamped on etched or another method? :)

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I have just picked up a green river knife, very similar concept to yours, utterly simple and very nice to use, the revised concept is good, and I'm sure it will do well, I like that you have omitted having lanyard holes, I guess its a personal thing but I don't use them a lot of the time don't see them as needed on a small knife.

ejtrent

Maker Plus
Jun 19, 2013
Bournemouth
Makers mark is a 9v battery etch with a vinyl stencil :)

The laced figure timbers like london plane, elm and sycamore are less used i think because people may deem them too soft, they arnt any means soft but compared to exotics like cocobolo or wenge they would be. Our native timbers like ash and oak are a little harder, same for sycamores american cousin maple, but i think the lacey woods are more than hard enough for a respectful knife user. Harder than pine, cedar and birch.

ejtrent

Maker Plus
Jun 19, 2013
Bournemouth
Yeah - its a common misconception that knife handles must be made of an excpetionally hard wood, there are so many hardwoods that get neglected!

I did some further refining on that scandivex grind today, I think I'm going to make a batch of 4 of these in some differing scale materials this week. Been very impressed with how it really performs so well in wood, really cutting deep like an axe but still has the finesse for very fine feather sticks, very easy to maintain on a strop too:

DSC01697.JPG DSC01701.JPG DSC01703.JPG

Reactions: Janne

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah if folks think that something like birch isnt hard enough for knife scales then they may as well go to g10 or other man made stuff

Reactions: ejtrent

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Some birch is harder and better figured than others though, with radials and the like. I guess it depends which bit of the tree, how old it is, how quick it grew etc. Roselli use something really quite soft and plain for their handles, and that works. It looks like cedar and is warm like cedar. No idea what it is though.

("attractive, seasoned curly birch" it says)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE