knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

camokid

Forager
Mar 3, 2009
coventry
hi all i just im a newby to the site. i am after a good knife can any one point me in the right direction thanks. top site

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
I don't mean to sound harsh and I know I don't speak for everybody here, but in the top right hand corner there's a search button TRY IT.

Although everybody here is freindly likes to help everybody else out you've got to make a bit of an effort to help yourself we're not going to be there to carry your kit.

Cheers Boatswain

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
oh and by the way.. welcome

there's a great bunch of people here with a wide and diverse range of knowledge who are always willing to share. there's also a pretty good back catalogue of discussions on almost any subject you could think of, but surprisingly considering what the mutual interest is on this site there's nearly always something new as well.

Cheers Boatswain

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hi and welcome,

Just have a good look round, both on here and BB, your sure to see something that takes your fancy, just don't spend to much first off, as you will realise when handling different knives, what looks good, ain't always so !.

Mora's seem quite popular as a first knife(i've never had one) and at about a tenner, not a bad price, just don't buy a combat or survival type knife, unless of course you expect to to be in those kind of situations !.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
You can't go wrong with one of Joel Bolden's knives.

bolden_hunter1b.jpg

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
To save you some time searching through "knife" posts, buy a Mora for now.
Upgrade later, after you've had a chance to blunt it and review the contradictory opinions.

Just to clarify things for camokid...

..."Mora" is a town in Sweden, and there are a few knifemakers that make knives commonly called "Moras".
It's a bit like "Sheffield" in that respect.
When people say "Mora" to mean a knife, they usually mean something that's cheap, sharp and good quality made in the style associated with that town's cutleries.

The ones most often discussed are from a company called Frost's (Frosts of Sweden is the full name) and the most common ones from that company are the 740 and 840 "Clipper".
Both of those knives are Carbon Steel, which will rust if you don't take care of it (doesn't take much looking after, just clean and dry it when finished using it and maybe give a wipe with some oil if it's going away for a while), but is easy to sharpen and holds a good edge.
If you want a more carefree blade in the same knives you can get the 760 and 860 "Clipper" knife, which are exactly the same only in stainless steel, which won't rust but are harder to sharpen.
You can see the 740/760 and 840/860 "Clipper" knives here http://lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Cutting.html

There are other "Mora" knives too though.
One is the K.J. Eriksson Mora 2000 as seen here http://heinnie.com/search.asp?s=nqz2xw1244520&strKeywords=mora+2000

I mention all the above as they all have plastic or plastic+rubber handles and are close in price. Some "Moras" have wooden handles.
All are perfectly servicable knives which come at a low cost and will help you figure out what you want a knife to be able to do or do better.

The most expensive of the lot will leave you with change from £30 and you could probably get it cheaper still if you shopped around.

From what I've heard, you can't go wrong with any of the above knives so don't be put off by the low cost...
...the main drawback (and some would disagree even with this) is that you can't beat the living daylights out of these knives like you could with a "full tang" knife (see below for explanation) - but many people would say if that becomes an issue, you shouldn't be using a knife for the job anyway.

Full tang and partial/hidden/stick tang.
Look in your kitchen drawer, if you have cook's knives where you can see metal running the length of the handle, that's a full tang, knives made this way can (at least in theory) stand up to more abuse than other knives. When it comes to things like batoning the knife to split wood, a full tang may be more desirable than a stick tang as it's less likely to break as a result.

If you have a cook's knife with a handle where there isn't a band of metal running all the way along it, that's a "hidden" or "stick" tang like the knives mentioned above. They are perfectly suitable to the same tasks as a full-tang knife, except for when you're really abusing it.

The knife Hoodoo showed in his post is a full-tang knife too.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Just to clarify things for camokid...

..."Mora" is a town in Sweden, and there are a few knifemakers that make knives commonly called "Moras".
It's a bit like "Sheffield" in that respect.
When people say "Mora" to mean a knife, they usually mean something that's cheap, sharp and good quality made in the style associated with that town's cutleries.

The ones most often discussed are from a company called Frost's (Frosts of Sweden is the full name) and the most common ones from that company are the 740 and 840 "Clipper".
Both of those knives are Carbon Steel, which will rust if you don't take care of it (doesn't take much looking after, just clean and dry it when finished using it and maybe give a wipe with some oil if it's going away for a while), but is easy to sharpen and holds a good edge.
If you want a more carefree blade in the same knives you can get the 760 and 860 "Clipper" knife, which are exactly the same only in stainless steel, which won't rust but are harder to sharpen.
You can see the 740/760 and 840/860 "Clipper" knives here http://lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Cutting.html

There are other "Mora" knives too though.
One is the K.J. Eriksson Mora 2000 as seen here http://heinnie.com/search.asp?s=nqz2xw1244520&strKeywords=mora+2000

I mention all the above as they all have plastic or plastic+rubber handles and are close in price. Some "Moras" have wooden handles.
All are perfectly servicable knives which come at a low cost and will help you figure out what you want a knife to be able to do or do better.

The most expensive of the lot will leave you with change from £30 and you could probably get it cheaper still if you shopped around.

From what I've heard, you can't go wrong with any of the above knives so don't be put off by the low cost...
...the main drawback (and some would disagree even with this) is that you can't beat the living daylights out of these knives like you could with a "full tang" knife (see below for explanation) - but many people would say if that becomes an issue, you shouldn't be using a knife for the job anyway.

Full tang and partial/hidden/stick tang.
Look in your kitchen drawer, if you have cook's knives where you can see metal running the length of the handle, that's full tang, if there's a handle where there isn't a band of metal running all the way along it, that's a "hidden" or "stick" tang like the knives mentioned above.

The knife Hoodoo showed in his post is a full-tang knife too.

You know what, I've always wondered why they were called either 'Frosts' or 'Mora'. I never really knew who the maker was - thought one was the manufacturer and the other was the model name or something. You live and learn.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know, joking aside, beginner's have to start somewhere.........and BigShot that was a good post. I'd rep you if I could for that :approve:

And Hoodooo...........you have so many good toys :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Y'know, joking aside, beginner's have to start somewhere.........and BigShot that was a good post. I'd rep you if I could for that :approve:

And Hoodooo...........you have so many good toys :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

How do you know he's a beginner? Toddy, you been calling the psychic hotline again? :confused: ;) He just said he was a newbie to the site. For all we know, he could be Tom Brown finally in search of a decent knife.:lmao:

Ok, here's a few good "beginner's" knives. Hultafors, Kellam, or Helle. Or, HEY!. He could get a mora! :D

beginners_knives1b.jpg

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
How do you know he's a beginner? Toddy, you been calling the psychic hotline again? :confused: ;) He just said he was a newbie to the site. For all we know, he could be Tom Brown finally in search of a decent knife.:lmao:

Ok, here's a few good "beginner's" knives. Hultafors, Kellam, or Helle. Or, HEY!. He could get a mora! :D

beginners_knives1b.jpg

hoodoo how many knives do you have to date?:D

fancy doing a page on all of them plus pics, would be so cool to see ALL of them, or would that take years??!! :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
hoodoo how many knives do you have to date?:D

fancy doing a page on all of them plus pics, would be so cool to see ALL of them, or would that take years??!! :D

No idea really. :confused:

Sorry Chance. It's just that, "Get a mora" and "Use the search function" are classic conversation killers that I get a little tired of. There are alternatives. We could take the time to have a discussion (it's a discussion forum after all) and there are lots of viable alternatives to a mora that are rarely talked about here. I like moras as much as anyone (maybe even more than most) but there are plenty of viable alternatives out there.

How about "Get a Marttiini!" Or "Get a Jarvenpaa!" :)

beginners_knives2b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE