Knife Sharpeners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

You have a number of choices, a lot of the guys here favour the DC4 combination diamond / ceramic stone.

Spyderco make ceramic stones which are pretty good (I have 2 of them) which are handy for field use.

For grinding at home I prefer japanese waterstones and carry a small slip stone when in the field if I am not carrying one of the ceramics.

Pretty much all of us use a strop of some form, with and or without a compound along the lines of abramax polishing compound or Flitz metal polish.

If you do a search you will also find details on the Hoodoo hone which comes highly recommended :).

I hope this will be of use to you :wave:

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Hi and welcome mate :wave: I agree i have 2 spiderco bench ceramic stones they are good, they have plastic boxes with rubber feet which stop them sliding on any surface you choose to sharpen on, my choice for home sharpening though is the Japanese waterstone in conjunction with a non slip vice which axminster tools sell, for the field i use a Gransfors Buck puck an excellent bit of kit for sharpening your Axe or knife, the DC4 is ok as stated small enough for pocket or possibles pouch which is where mine is by the way :wink:

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
I've tried a number of sharpening stones in the last few years and have recently got the DC4 which is excellent. I strop with a piece of birch polypore fungus. The combination produces a hair-poppingly sharp edge.

Best wishes

Bruce

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
A peice of MDF board and Flexicut compound which comes as a creyon is another excellent way of honing your edge also i use this method on my carving knives too, or you can use a peice of leather (old handbag,belt ect) and autosol chrome polish this also produces an excellent razor edge after sharpening or one of those scraps of leather and stuff that jake goes on about fergal starkies or something :wink: :rolmao: :nana:

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Yeah, I'm another one for the DC4, here. Perfect size, practically impossible to wear down, and a great all-rounder for sharpening. I've got miles better at sharpening since I've been using that, but that could be due to me getting more practice because the stone is nicer to use!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE