knife question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
Hi Bushcrafters,

Excuse my strange English, it’s not my native language.
I hope i’m in the right corners here, I have a question you might help me out with.

I like hiking and camping in the wild with naturally is always combined with some form of bush craft. Now I’m looking for an new tool. Usually I always carry an Swiss pocket knife (a big victorinox) and on a longer trip I usually bring a machete to cut fire wood and al kinds of stakes and small trees to build things.

But a machete is quite long and not very useful for cutting down bigger trees. I could bring a small axe, but that’s a bit heavy for hiking. I could bring a saw, but in many case hacking is easier and quicker. I’m looking for a tool to combine things.

I do not want some evil Rambo style killing tool designed to scare people (or gut them). :evil: Most survival like knives I found are these bowie style killers. Anyway, I live in Holland and here double edged knives are considered weapons and are illegal (in most situations). I also don’t want to spend a fortune on this tool (as I don’t have a fortune).

I was thinking about a bolo like knife with a useful saw back, but I can’t find any (it probably does not exist). Do I make any sense? Or should I just bring a folding saw and a pocket knife and forget the whole thing?

Thanks for any reply’s.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
if im correct, sawbacks are also double sided sharpend according to the law, so also illegal. being dutch also, i can only say that a saw or axe would be the only choice you got, if you don't want to carry a big knife.

which part of holland do you live ? i'm still searching for a bushcraft buddy, having a person to learn from will greatly speed up the learning curve.... took me approximate 3 weeks to ficure out how to light cotton wol with a bcb flint.. i didn't knew anything about distantce at that time... ( 2 years ago )

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
It's not really the size of most survival knives that bothers me. So far I used the machete and that’s half a meter. I have it strapped to the side of my rucksack, but walking with it dangling between your belt and your knee is no fun at all. (holding it in your hand al the time is no fun either).
My Victorinox is about 20 cm (= about 8 inch) when open and anything up to 30 cm might be o.k.
But some of these big knives are very very heavy, that’s my real problem. That’s also the reason why I use the machete in stead of a small axe. When two pounds are acceptable than I could bring an axe and a saw and a sharp utility knife. Well to me they are not.

Hm, so you think that a saw back counts as an edge? It does not aide in stabbing someone, but your probably right. Well as I live in Amsterdam (inner-city) and still always have a pocket-knife with me I’m in violation anyway as soon as I step out the door. Here even a screwdriver is illegal. :sword:
Most of my trips are abroad anyway so that would not be such a problem. (Holland hasn’t very much wilderness to offer). But I still dislike the aggressive look of a bowie of tanto style blade.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
If you want to go really light you could curl a bow saw blade inside a billy can. Then on your trails find a suitable limb, bend it (Camp fire helps) Cut a notch either end, put a screw in the holes each end, and voila, you have a big saw capble of felling just about anything.

Or if you prefere hacking (like myself!) How about an RTAK:
http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?ONRTAK1

Or better yet a Survival Golok:
http://www.valiantco.com/indexA.html

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Fiskars foldable saw 85g, cant go much lighter =)

Vr6110fi.gif

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Hello Woodsitter,

I'm from Holland also.

Please watch out for any foldable knife that is opened above 27 cm! that is considered illegal and can't be owned legally and logically not carried.
I might be off 1 cm as it also could be a maximum length opened of 28 cm.

Fixed blades have no limit as far as I know as long as they are not sharpened on 2 sides (daggers etc.)

I would also go for a foldable saw and if you watch the advertisements of the Aldi 'supermarket' they sometimes offer foldable saws for a little over 4 Euro's (3 British Pounds) and the last time we bought 4 of them, 3 were for friends and I'm still mad that I didn't buy 10 or 20 of them as the quality is very good they lock when fully opened but also when closed and I used mine to saw a lot of branches up to 3" this summer when preparing a 28 foot tree to get cut down and it's still scary sharp afterwards.

The foldable saw came with the German TUV seal of approval and again I just wished I bought everyone in the shop.

You could also buy "" hand survival chainsaw" these come in a small round tin can and work even on larger trees but be prepared to lose some sweat.
The are not cheap, if interested I got an spare one :wink:

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Bagheera - let me get this straight. You can't have a folder that opens more than 27/28 cms, but there is no limit on a fixed blade :shock: :shock: :lol:
:eek:):

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Adi007,

Sad but true, any folder that is opened longer then 27 (28) cm is illegal and considered to be just as bad as carying a hand grenade or illegal pistol :shock:

But as far as I know there's no limit on fixed knives, although the moment it gets the size of a machete/sword it could be that you can own it but can't carry it in public (I'll have to check on that though).
Blade sharp on 2 sides (daggers etc.) even though one side is only sharpened for a few centimeters are illegal to carry but you can own them.

Bayonets, you can own them but not carry them in public unless very securely wrapped/taped/wrapped/..... you get the meaning, so not easy to get at.

Cheers,

Bagheera

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Europe is a funny, diverse place!

Wonder what I'd carry EDC is fixed blades were legal here!!! :shock:

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
Thanks guys.
As Raz I do like hacking. It’s so much quicker in many situations. I still like my machete because it’s so versatile (you can chop down trees if you really have to and it is helpful when digging). But its big and clumsy.

I looked at you suggestions and I think I will look for a saw. I like the idea of just bringing a saw blade and making a saw on site. It can’t be that much work and it weighs nothing. (85 grams for a fiscar is also something I could handle ). A plain saw blade is cheap also so I can buy one and try it, see if it works for me.

Does anyone know if it is possible to cut a usable and reasonable sustainable saw in the back of my machete? :eek:\: It’s just slightly thicker then a usual wood saw, but it’s probably impossible to harden the teeth. It would solve most of my needs I think.

Thanks again for you advice.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
Woodies diy store have folding saws for about 15-20 sterling (i think) why not try there?? :-D :) :-( :-o :lol: :cool: :-? :shock: :-x :oops: :cry: :wink: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :?: :idea: :arrow: sorry i got carryied away :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: sorry agian

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hello If weigth is important for you as to me I notice my options.
My chose always must be capable of cutting and splitting wood to make fire.
Folding knife= farmer Victorinox
You have blade+saw that you can use to split wood as RM book shows
More cutting power add:
Bahco foldable saw same as Sandwik land.... 18 eu cost, 175 grs, color orange easy to find in wood than green Sandwik.
This saw is increible I can cut a 10cm thick branch in 20 sg with very little effort.
GB mini hatchet, razor sharp,usefull if you new to peel a batch looking for dry wood, 350 grs.
I hope that help you.
Enjoy.

Mar 2, 2004
i think you need to get yourself a khukuri. its not too heavy and if you like hacking its good for that.a great all rounder.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE