knife project

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Hi all need some advice on a project I'm working on

I'm working a knife so I'll describe it 4 inch blade with 3 n 1/2. stick tang brass finger rest and a beech grip.
I'm wondering how does one ensure. The finger rest stays firm to the grip (ideally )
Had considered using 2 brass pins or screws and screwing thru the rest and into the grip

Any advice please

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Alright mate,

Usually stick tang knives with or without a finger guard/bolster get squeezedtogether with a special made clamp that presses the handle base and the top of the blade. It can be made for peanuts and will compress your materials together.

Depending on the guard, I would personally pin anything with substance like that. But I'm sure a stick tang guru will be along to help now I've broken the ice.

Do you have pictures bro?

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
Normally you would peen the tang to compress everything together. If the finger guard has been fitted correctly ie nice tight fit then you shouldnt have any trouble with movement.

You did mention that the tang was only 3.5 inch tho so the handle would be rather small if you peened the end.

Pics would be a help tho

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
The way o imagined it. Was to use a dead pin fitted towards the back of the tang. And shape either end of the grip to take a brass 1/4 inch brass collar
In sequence slide finger rest over the tang
Then the collar
Then fit one half of the grip. ( possibly chamfering the one end so as to not distort the brass then fit second gluing with resin then fit second collar and finish by shaping the grip. And pinning the finger rest
Any problems I haven't foreseen ???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE