Knife Making Supplies

Sep 11, 2015
Derbyshire
Hi Guys,

I'm really interested in getting into knife making. I just wondered, as I can't afford to spend too much, if anyone could help me with a few things to get me started. Not looking for fancy steel. Maybe a classic bushcraft style blade, some Micarta and some loveless bolts. I'm looking at spending about £20-25, I cannot afford to spend much more on my first knives. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Branches

Dec 27, 2015
Pembroke
There is a site that does very well priced supplies and you could make a very decent knife for that price. I have used them many many times in the past and never had a problem, they are called moonraker knives. Give them a shot and see

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You might struggle to get everything you need for £25. Steel (01 tool steel from here..https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/160202/ground-flat-stock) generally comes in 500mm lengths, and would cost you around £12 to £15 depending on thickness, plus delivery... You won't get micarta and loveless bolts aswell and keep it below £25. If you're lucky a maker may sell you enough for a knife for less... i would have done if i had the spare steel, but i need to order myself more after making a dozen blades last week.

What tools do you have to make the blade with?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
if you need tools try and find a second hand tool stall or shop. They are a gold mine for quality tools.
Much better quality then the crap at the local b@q etc. Try and get them for less than the asking price. I try something like £5 in your till is better than £8 on your shelf. It does work sometimes.
regards Chris.

Hi Guys,

I'm really interested in getting into knife making. I just wondered, as I can't afford to spend too much, if anyone could help me with a few things to get me started. Not looking for fancy steel. Maybe a classic bushcraft style blade, some Micarta and some loveless bolts. I'm looking at spending about £20-25, I cannot afford to spend much more on my first knives. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Branches

you can certainly make a knife with materials that would cost a lot less that £25 (My first had less than £10 in it ) but may have to spend more and have spare left over

as well as any tools you need you haven't got which still can be minimal hand tools .

are you intending to make the Blade from a strip

or do you mean to buy a ready made sharp Blade and put a handle and sheath on it

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You can get old files from car boot sales really cheap, older ones have good steel, but will require a bit of work before you'll be able to start working on them... annealing the steel being the main part.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE