Knife Making Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
Hi all,

I'm interested in trying my hand at making myself a knife - whilst I am not intending to make my first 100% from scratch, I was considering something along the lines of this kit.

One question I have, is with this sort of kit, how is the handle attached to the tang? There doesn't appear to be any brass rivets or anything - is it a glue and pressure/push fit job?

Many thanks in advance,
Morrolan

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Go to Brisa.fi and look for the tutorials section.
They have a brilliant record of sevice to the UK should you need any parts.

ATB

Ogri the trog

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I would recomend following the Brisa tut and THIS

I would also follow THIS for the Bolster fit. That is do not file the hole in the bolster bigger but thin the tang by a fraction of a mm up to about 5mm of its final locatoin then force it on for best fit.

Epoxy glue will hold the handle just fine I found a while ago when dismantling a knife as after boiling it for an hour (to soften the epoxy) it still took all my strength to pull the handle off the tang. Rivets are not necessary.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
This is similar to the Kit I was brought a year or so ago.....It was fun to build.
the knife is really good too (mine had a Karesurando make of Blade)

the tang is about 2.5mm thick and i used a 3mm drill (long series wood drill which cost £9 for a set consissting of 3,4,5,6,8,10mm i think)
I'll link to the drills later if i can find them.

the tang was laid on top of the curly birch and drawn around in the position i wanted it to be....after a lot of lining my pistol drill up i sunk 3 holes converging on each other that where removing the material from the position of the intended tang hole/slot.

after this a hack saw blade was gound and shaped to give a nice scraper to remove the rest of the material.
it took a while but i feel gave me more scope for handle shape as i did not have a big cylindrical 'core' of epoxy in the wood. so if i felt like it i could thin the hadle right down to a few mm away from the tang without breaking through to the epoxy.....not that i did...but i could. also i did not need to centre the blade as the slot dictates the position.

just one experiance i had...although if i were to do a few more....the drill a big hole approach would be less time consuming.

good luck with yours should you go ahead with it.

Mojo

iv just finished my first knife made from this exact kit. well worth it, and it turns out great. just making the sheath before i post pics. i cant really add anything to what mojo has said actually think i got the same drill set. as for epoxy i used alraldite precision and it seems to have worked a treat.

I

IBrown

I have just found the link to the knife making. Many thanks southey, I hope it will help me as well. I am about to make a start on a kit I got for Xmas its nearly the same kit a Karesuando Kniven.
I will be following your progress Morrolan and hope you will inspire me to complete mine.
Regards
Ian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE