Knife making question (and some information you might find useful)

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I don't know if any of you have used them before, or know theyre closing down, but I got the final ever catalogue from Attleborough Accessories through the post the other day (they are retiring). They are a great supply for hunting gear, knives, knife making, stick making, leather making etc.
If anyone out there fancies getting themselves a cheap Brusletto blade (one of the few UK sellers) or a small amount of leather to try working (especially making one sheath) then theyre the place to try as everything is on sale at the moment. WARNING: the website is decreasing quickly every day as they remove the items they have completely sold. Heres the site: www.attacc.com GET IN QUICK!

Anyway, the question: I bought a Brusletto Jerven Knife Making Kit to try and make my first ever :O knife. I know its not the same shape blade but I have always fancied one of them lovely Woodlore knives (but at the ripe old age of 16 am never going to afford one). Therefore I plan (using my quite experienced wood working skills) try and make something of the same style (obviously different shape blade and doesnt have the effect of the shiny pins etc) and was hoping for a) a template of the woodlore standard handle, and b) any tips and/or suitable designs to fit such a shape blade

Thanks in advance
Dan

Note: I am in no way affiliated with attacc but am just a happy customer

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
at 16 i wouldn't suggest he looks anywhere !!

Robbi
He has bought a blade and would like to know how to make it into a knife I have mearly pointed him to some tutorials on how to do this. I have helped lads younger than him to make knives as Explorer Scouts will be again next month so I have no problems with my advice if you do thats your problem.

Last edited:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I would suggest that you forget the woodlore clone :rolleyes: (there really are better knives out there) :togo:

I would suggest that you look HERE and HERE

Thanks for the link.

Not sure why the comment regarding under 16's and knives, I've just recommended to the parents of one of my 14yr old scouts gets a mora bushcraft knife. I'd be hard pressed to find a more responsible kid to bring into the world of knife ownership. Most my lot come to camp 'tooled up' because they enjoy learning to use knives safely, whittling and making camp gadgets.

Obviously kids can't buy them themselves though, it's the law?

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Couldnt agree more. I got my first knife when I was 7 or 8 and now have 3, but fancied making myself one. I am a scout young leader (hence my avatar) and think knifework, safety and maintenance is one of the most useful skills I teach. Thanks for the help from those of you who did

ATB
Dan

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Also, I already have a mora, a brusletto fangstmann and a nieto hk8502 so I fancied making something different, hence the suggestion of something more like a woodlore. The kit comes with a piece of curly birch for the handle so if any of you guys can come up with a nice design I might like, please go ahead.

As has just been highlighted to me by Southey, I would like to make clear that the knife was purchased by my parents for me as one of my christmas presents. I did not lie about my age or illegally purchase the blade in any way. Hope this clears up the arguements.

Last edited:

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
clears it up completely, thank you.

( your OP stated the you "bought" the knife kit....that could have caused problems to the seller as you are only 16 )

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I would have to agree that there are much better knives than a woodlore. Just use your kit to make the knife that was intended, you might find that labour intesive enough as it is.

Brisa is a good place to start if you do want to make your woodlore clone. Ebay usually has the steel and handle materials. Greenpete has a great tutorial on making a woodlore clone:
http://www.greenpete.co.uk/

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I would like to incorporate some different materials (along with the curly birch), for example I quite like the black wood (or whatever material it is) spacer on a lot of knives and I might incorporate some different woods I have offcuts from /can get from school. How do you cut the right size hole (and with what technique) for the tang to fit through and which materials would look nice with curly birch?
Thanks
Dan

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
My advice is to keep the first one simple and not have too many parts to the handle as fitting teh pieces together takes a lot care and patience something we dont always have teh first time we try something out.
The thin spacers are usually vulcanised fibre. Having looked at the kit you have I would say make a simple wooden handle and if you still want to make more try more complicated designs next time.
If you read the whole of the second tutorial I linked it covers some very complex aspects of knifemaking and is written by a suberb knifemaker

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE