knife making problem, please help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
hey guys, i really need some help on this one

i got a handmade knife blank and the scales for Christmas and i have made the handle for it and it has turned out great. But i have a large problem, and that is that the leather sheath that i ordered off of the bushcraft store is very stiff and does not fit my handle, it does not seem that it has been made for any particular style and the opening is too narrow, i can fit the knife half way in but i don't know how to mold the leather to fit the handle.
Anyone know?
Thanks
Harry

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey Harry, would it fit if it went in further without cutting the stiches or leather, if it would you have 2 options which depend on how the leather has been finished...

if its just wet formed then its easy, wet it down re shape and jobs a gooden, if its hot wax dipped its a bit harder, you will have to heat the sheath very carfully untill the wax becomes soft then remold....

would you say its been wax treated is the first thing you need to know???

regards.

chris.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Post some photos of the knife and sheath and maybe links as this will help.

What Chris says is a start point.

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
Pictures would help fella but if you are happy to you could un pick the stitching and slice down the welt (leather strip in the spine/stitch line) and add another one that tapers from the top (opening) to nothing 25mm down the blade part after your handle finishes, this will give you a larger diameter opening, re-stitch the sheath and colour the new strip accordingly.

Hope it helps:)

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
thanks everyone!, sorry for the lack of pics but my computer will not allow me to upload them onto the site. Wetting the leather worked and it has moulded well
thanks for the tips and advice!
Harry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE