Knife making kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I would leave the tang as long as possible, as long as you don't have to drill too far into your last handle section. Personally, I usually prefer to have the tang all the way through and rivetted, so as not to rely entirely on the adhesive, but that isn't really necessary with modern epoxy glues.

Having recently removed a handle from blade due to a mistake it took nearly an hour of boiling (to soften the glue) and considearble force to remove the handle I am confident in my construction methods.

The length of the tang in this drawing is accurate as made by a top bladesmith is about 70 mm

Last edited:
Alf - I wasn't meaning to imply any weakness in the design! That sentence should probably have read, "...that really isn't necessary with modern epoxies." :)

Given the number of makers who use that design, I can only agree with you! As I said, it is just a personal preference :D.

Moras only have a half-tang, and I've seen some of the destruction testing and what they will take, so there is no issue with robustness.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Alf - I wasn't meaning to imply any weakness in the design! That sentence should probably have read, "...that really isn't necessary with modern epoxies." :)

No worries I was really only trying reassure a first timer in case they didnt read what you wrote as carefully as I did. I did get what you meant BTW so I should have said.

Beakey and Brancho thanks so much for all the advice. really appreciated guys.

Some pics of my progress so far. Bolster is a nice snug fit eejit that i am i didnt tape it up good enough so theres a little score on the front side of it you cant see it in these pics though. Got the antleer to fit nicely its not too tight so i dont have to force it but its not falling off the tang either. Also have the tang filed down a good bit.

bolster1.jpg

And with the antleer fitted numpty that i am i havn't sanded the antleer yet so i have to take it off and give it some sanding.

bolsterant1.jpg

And the concept drawing based on Branchos design and various other scandi's iv seen online. Not too scale just a rough idea for me to work on when im shaping the handle.

conceptdrawing.jpg

Again thanks for all the help no doubt ill have many more questions during the making of this. I have ordered the precision and hope to start on the handle next week.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE