Knife making help

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
Hey everyone!
I am having a bit of a dilemma here! I am going to make my own knife from scratch but as it is my first one completely from scratch i think i should plan it out. The problems that i am facing are i don't know how to grind the bevel (which will be a scandi grind) without a belt sander. The only power tool that might help that i have is a dremel and i have files and sandpaper and the basics like that. COuld you guys help me out? And also, what is the best way to heat treat and temper a knife?
Thanks! Harry

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
you need to take your time, get the rough shape with a grinder then file away untill happy with the blank, then clamp it to a bench and file the bevils very slowly, use a block of wood so you get the same angle every time...

look on you tube for heat treating videos, if you have problems just send me a PM.

chris.

Scribe a line along the center of th bade where the edge is going to be then scribe a line along the sides of the blade at the height you want clamp the blade flat and file use the lines as a guide

Use a black marker pen on the metal so your scribe line shows better

here is a guide to bevel angle ver grind height

Grindhight.jpg

heres the set up i used for my first blades

a Copy Workmate with a paving slab in the legs as a base weight
bit of 2" squre timber clamped in the jaws so i can mount the little vice upright or as shown the other way to get eh blade flat

WARNING you can run the risk of pulling your hand into the point or the edge as it gets sharper

DO NOT leave the blade unattended take it out if you stop

its mounted pointing into the bench as its a real hazard if it points the other way
for a safer method clamp a piece of wood under it but so you can still get the file on the bevel
or if you have no vice you can screw it directly to a bit of wood screwed to a bench etc

you can ruff off the grind with a bench grinder or sander to speed it up

Knife3.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE