Knife making . Have I killed it ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I've been working on a knife or two for myself to take to the moot . One of them has a many cracks on the face of the blade . I soaked it in the oven totally unaware of the pattern . As it came straight from quenching to be tempered. With only a quick wipe off . After a quick rub it was obvious . Now I've locked it in a vice and hit it with a small lump hammer and it didn't crack or snap . I've tried bending the blade and it's flexible yet returns to shape. Question is have I killed it or am I worrying over nothing ? uploadfromtaptalk1375719761075.jpg
Forgive my inexperience and help me from pulling my hair out anyone ? :confused:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
they don't look good, but it's hard to tell from the pic to be honest. Assuming they are cracks, then it is bad. Most likey you over heated the blade when you hardened it. The fact that you have tried and failed to break it suggests that you may as well keep on working on the knife and keep it :)

I can't really tell if its just edges of where scale has come off the surface, in which case its ok.

If you bring it along to the moot anyway, I can have a look then ;)

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Ok Dave thanks .
If it's cracked it's my fault for rushing to much . I've been busy for 2 afternoons while entertaining friends and kids . And rushing on the forge in between . Trying to make a few things for us to try out at the moot .

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i know the feeling! I have been rushing so much that I had to waste more than half a day due to a juicy burn that shouldn't have happened to my hand :( Didn't get everything done, but nothing new there :rolleyes:

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I didn't check it against a magnet properly before quenching. Or warm the oil. So it's probably dead . I'll wack it in a vice and hit it again before I waste any more time on it . uploadfromtaptalk1375781380938.jpg

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
magnetism is a very rough guide to correct temperature, but it is better than just your eyes (especially in sunshine). Some steels will harden a fair bit below and others a fair bit above non-magnetic.

what sort of steel was it, did you forge or grind it, etc?

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
the site says
Ground Flat Stock - Metric & Imperial
High quality tool steel fully annealed and free from carburisation
Precision ground to close tolerances, enables finished components to be produced with minimum machining
Suitable for hardening with excellent dimensional stability and resistance to wear
Conforms to BS4659: 1971 BO1
Tolerance Imperial; W -0.000 +0.005in;T -0.001 +0.001in
Tolerance Metric; W -0.000 +0.127mm;T -0.000 +0.050 mm

to be honest the other one I got out of the same steel looks pony too.
cut by quick click dremel blades most of the shape was there .
I then drilled the handle and
hammered the blade into final shape & I think I went too thin with the taper.
quickly checked it against a magnet while being screamed at by my 2yr old .
quenched in old motor oil .
wiped off with a rag and put straight in the pre heated oven wrapped in foil .
for 2 hrs at 200-202 c

then cleaned it up with a file
and clark bench sanded the grind clean.
but the cracks where obvious so I cleaned it up for a picture and here we are .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE