Knife making competition 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
we're in the middle of moving house too, it's a pain but the new house is great. Plenty of room for a proper workshop, something I've always wanted but never been able to have. The knife project is still on my to do list though, and as soon as the move is done, I'll be on it :)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
e33c95f48a394ad135aa95153b047d9a_zpsa5538b9c.jpg

A shot of the handle getting done... Lots of scrap leather

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
After some deliberation with His Nibs (Mesquite) and the exchange of the customary bribes to him to ensure a landslide victory for me in November, I'm officially announcing my candidacy for entry into this letter opener making competition, thingy.

I've already got a knife blade from a bootfair last year. Old, rust-pitted, covered in cobwebs and the ropiest looking scales on it in all Christendom, but I'm banking on the blade being of good steel. I'll roll over to Toby's (TP Knives) workshop sometime and have him do a hardness test on the blade once some of that rust has been ground off.

See below the knife as it looks now.

Knifecomp01_zps78aa973e.jpg

So, having PM'ed with Mesquite, he says this could be classed as "buying a blade". (All of 50 centimes (35p) I might add) So I'm happy about that. I have no idea how old this knife is, but I so wish it could talk and tell me it's history.

I would like to think I'd be able to do what JohnC ( :You_Rock_) had done and make my own, but I think small steps is the way forward for me right now.

Good luck one and all, I hope I shall appear suitably humble when receiving your congratulations when I win in November.

Thenkyoop. :p

Last edited:

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Got myself a nice blade and some handle materials in a trade on here recently so thought i would have a go for this comp. This is the second knife i have made so plenty has gone wrong already :p but as it is for me personally, i don't give a damn

I forgot to take pictures before assembly. But here are some WIP. Handle is yew, cow horn, and leather.

All jammed on and glued with araldite. before i glued it, i tried it all together and it fit perfectly flush. When i glued it all together something went wrong and i didnt realise until the araldite had set that the cowhorn isnt flush with the yew :(

cimg2772z.jpg

And a picture after ten minutes on electric sander thingy to get a rough shape

cimg2774j.jpg

That's all so far! Next to take the dremel to it with mini sander to get the shape evened out better then the rest will be done with sandpaper until i am happy with it

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Not even finished my first knife project as it kind of went into accidental storage haha

But.... would a folder be able to be entered? once Ive done my first attempt.... Im tempted to play with a few ideas I have in my head haha

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Not even finished my first knife project as it kind of went into accidental storage haha

But.... would a folder be able to be entered? once Ive done my first attempt.... Im tempted to play with a few ideas I have in my head haha

Nothing in the rules stipulating a particular type of knife so by all means enter a folding knife :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE