Knife makers ! May I see your 1st efforts at knife making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Yes it is short and stubby 3 fingers to grip but it's for the missus and her small hands also it was made from off cuts steel/wood.
the steel pins are from my boys first baby bed .
I think it needs some file work on the spine for a thumb grip.
Also planning to etch it for her .
We both get carpet tunnel so the chunky handle also helps .
But I'd agree it is a little on the stumpy side
It sounds well designed for its user- especailly with the babybed pins, what a lovely thought!- and thats the best knife no matter what others personal preferences are :) I started with neckers too as I thought they'd be easier to heat treat. Mind you they're the only two I've made as I'm on a project ban after forgetting to sweep up the filings one night ;)
574841_3603046949268_1281980744_n.jpg

Theres a lot of us magpies, aren't there... the wood for the scales was part of a log I split with 2 nice bushbros, the split edges gor oiled and the rest used, hence the araldited worm holes in the handles... tis 'charecter'!

Oh and I love Woodland Knife Supplies (no connection apart from deepest respect for selling me a damascus billet that I treat better than my man ;) )

Last edited:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Here is a look on my first one, smithed the blade at the moot 2012 under the watchful eye of Dave budd,
with the subtle reminder if I made a slip up and hurt his anvil it was game over XD, luckily I lived to see another day ^^
DSC06511.jpg

DSC06809_zps719e4973.jpg

DSC06805_zpse9aa4cc1.jpg

DSC06757_zpsab1df0e6.jpg

Yours sincerely Ruud
Goodluck on your first!

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
This was my first. It was a Sabatier chef's knife that broke.I turned it into a neck knife. Ebony scales. Brass pins and enormous brass lanyard tube.The sheath was leather from a steel toe-capped boot and the triangular metal attachment was a tent peg.
IMAG0005.jpg

I guess I enjoyed it so much that I decided to have a go at making a couple from scratch. Bit of 01 steel, mahogany and home-made denim and t-shirt micarta.

DSC01218.jpg

DSC01289.jpg

I must have made about twenty now. Some have turned out better than others, but that's just part of the learning curve. I've got a batch of six ready for heat-treating as I type (bought the charcoal this morning!). Just a word of warning, it's seriously addictive and there will be many highs and lows if you go down the path,but it is a very rewarding hobby!!

Last edited:

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi all

My first (two) attempts were rather large knives (or short swords!) at around twenty inches long!!

The Cutlass type I bashed out of mild steel packing and so is a wall hanger :(

The double edged is actually hammered out from a high carbon sharpening steel, both were hammered out at my works as we used to have loads of anvils and Oxy Acetylene, all the anvils have been scrapped now and we've gone to Oxy Propane :puppy_dog

I finished them both by hand with emery cloth wrapped around a large file for the double edged one and just the file on the soft one!!

ABIGGIE3.jpg

It's a foundry that I work in so I whittled a couple of patterns for the Stiletto type for the handle/knuckle guard, made a mould and poured some molte brass in, the brass is much easier to fettle than the steel!!!

The wood handle on the Cutlass was whittled from a Dealwood pallet and pinned with 1/8" brazing rod!, scales were fixed with Araldite..

The Cutlass again..

abiggie1.jpg

The double edged blade..

knifehomemade5.jpg

I've loads of materials to start making again but have to erect a shed first so that I can clear out my garage where the machines are situated (my old shed collapsed so most of the stuff went in the garage :p )

antlerbooty.jpg

abunchofhorn.jpg

ivoryandhorn.jpg

abunchofblades.jpg

Cheers, John :)

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I am already hooked . And I have already had a failure or 3 . I seem to be preparing blanks with the handles shaped first then practicing drawing out the blade and bevels on the anvil. I've tried stock removal with some scraps and that's how my first finished one was made . But I'd like a decent bench sander for getting the grind neater . I need more practice at making twists also as I bodged a rat's tailed knife . I think forging the blade is more for me . As I'm rubbish at stock removal and like working with the forge and hammer . Lots to learn !

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Hi all

My first (two) attempts were rather large knives (or short swords!) at around twenty inches long!!

The Cutlass type I bashed out of mild steel packing and so is a wall hanger :(

The double edged is actually hammered out from a high carbon sharpening steel, both were hammered out at my works as we used to have loads of anvils and Oxy Acetylene, all the anvils have been scrapped now and we've gone to Oxy Propane :puppy_dog

I finished them both by hand with emery cloth wrapped around a large file for the double edged one and just the file on the soft one!!

ABIGGIE3.jpg

It's a foundry that I work in so I whittled a couple of patterns for the Stiletto type for the handle/knuckle guard, made a mould and poured some molte brass in, the brass is much easier to fettle than the steel!!!

The wood handle on the Cutlass was whittled from a Dealwood pallet and pinned with 1/8" brazing rod!, scales were fixed with Araldite..

The Cutlass again..

abiggie1.jpg

The double edged blade..

knifehomemade5.jpg

I've loads of materials to start making again but have to erect a shed first so that I can clear out my garage where the machines are situated (my old shed collapsed so most of the stuff went in the garage :p )

antlerbooty.jpg

abunchofhorn.jpg

ivoryandhorn.jpg

abunchofblades.jpg

Cheers, John :)

Oh wow what a hoard . I need to get collecting materials for some handles . Loving them long blades hope you fall back into knife making soon

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE