Knife maker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I thought I would ask on here for who people consider the best value custom knife maker at the moment.

I'm looking to order a few bushcraft knives for the Forest knights instructor team.

Nothing outrageously expensive but well made and something they will be proud to own.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i think you should also consider the style that you are looking for. For example, if you like organic and forged, then I might be on your list; but if you you want a scandi ground clone then, well you know me better than than ;)

Tim_B

Dec 8, 2013
Ipswich
+1 for Mark Hill, however I have also seen nice stuff from a few others in the for sales section - won't do a list of names as I might miss someone. As already said, style will play a part in decidng who.

thanks
Tim

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Depends, of course, what you mean by 'good value '. The very best knives I own, as users, with soul would be Dave Budds, each one unique and made by a true woodsman, in the woods. But then I love hand forged. So if we are truly talking about 'value ', with the life beaten into raw steel and then every part made and built by a craftsman who uses the tools he makes, for the jobs they were made for, in the woods, it's Dave. I have many knives by many skilled makers, some of whom have become friends, from Alan Woods, to Rod Garcias bushtools ( two examples of FANTASTIC knife makers, I hope you will agree!?) but if I could keep only one of mine, it would be Daves. Let us know how you get on! Best. Chris.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
It depends on what you're after. Each maker has their own style and own way of working with the blade.

If I had enough money, I'd buy 2 from each maker here.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
The best value and quality knives available at the minute are the wood spirit knives made by BogdanS on this forum.

Got to agree there, his stuff is remarkable for the price
NvjuE7.jpg

ED-E

May 22, 2012
Germany
Mark Hill is an incredible knife maker. I'm using my Mora Clone side by side with my Skookum and other handmade knives. It's one of the best knives I've used. His in house heat treatment is spot on. Great knife.

Last edited:

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Depends, of course, what you mean by 'good value '. The very best knives I own, as users, with soul would be Dave Budds, each one unique and made by a true woodsman, in the woods. But then I love hand forged. So if we are truly talking about 'value ', with the life beaten into raw steel and then every part made and built by a craftsman who uses the tools he makes, for the jobs they were made for, in the woods, it's Dave. I have many knives by many skilled makers, some of whom have become friends, from Alan Woods, to Rod Garcias bushtools ( two examples of FANTASTIC knife makers, I hope you will agree!?) but if I could keep only one of mine, it would be Daves. Let us know how you get on! Best. Chris.

I couldn't say it better CdaC. If all my fancy knives and custom blades had to go the ones I would keep are those made by Dave. They have a feel in the hand that is simply alive. Many cultures believe that you can put a spirit or energy into inanimate objects. Dave's knives have it.

If you were to order hand-forged you could have a similar design and a company stamp on the blade but each would be unique in it's own way. Now that would be special!!

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE