Knife maintenance

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
On my Mora 137 i never oiled the handle and through using it dirt has got in, it makes it look really rustic and beautiful but will it damage the handle over time? The handle is Birch.

Also it's got quite a patina now but isn't it corrosion? should i remove the patina?

I hope it's okay because it's my only knife and i really like it.

Thanks

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
if the dirt's got into the handle then plenty of oil and sweat off your hands has too, so you have oiled it really, you've just done it by accident. it'll be fine

patina is corrosion, but the great thing about patina is that once you've got that nice pretty layer of surface corrosion the corrosion stops and creates a protective layer on the steel. a lot of people choose to intentionally patinate their tools using vinegar/pickle/onion/brown sauce/more or less any acidic vegetable or condiment you can think of to make them look better and to protect them, you've done that by accident too. it'll be fine

stuart

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Thanks mate

It's made the knife look so cool.

My grandad usually rubs his finger on his nose and wipes on the blade for protection as nose oil is squalene it works well.

I'm surprised the blade got a patina because i always dry it off after use but if it protects it then cool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE