Knife laws in Europe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We're having a family holiday this year that takes us through France (few days) taking in Switzerland and Austria and through Germany (few days) we're staying with friends in Switzerland and Austria.

So, I was just sharpening my pencil with my benched bone collector, as one does when the thought struck me....Ahh, what about a few knives while on holiday????

So, if anyone has any knowledge on what's ok and what's not in those countries I'd appreciate some of your wisdom. I know it would likely be fine anywhere if the knives are packed away and not easily accessible, but if i'm allowed to peel my apple in public in Austria then I would enjoy doing so, or it might be prudent for me to never take them :dunno:

Thanks in advance
T

Nevyn

May 15, 2016
Whitstable
Not sure on the big blades a Swiss Army knife should be ok ;) failing that the Lansky world legal knife should be up to the job for Apple peeling :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
And nota bad price, although I don't buy many knives so was planning on avoiding another one...

I wonder if the world knows the lanky is a legal knife no matter where it goes...

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
It's more than ten years since I was in Austria, but they seemed very knife friendly while I was there.

I remember one shop in Vienna that sold only knives and was very big. I bought a nice folder there and accudentally left it in my carry on, but was allowed through security anyway. I doubt that would be allowed now, but they definitely seemed knife friendly.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Tony I have run courses in all those countries and not had any problem at the airports with knives and axes. There was a particularly good knife store in Vienna as I recall.

Usual precautions apply don't upset the locals and be very polite to the local police officers and you should be fine.

Would us be a good idea to check the laws on open fires in the areas your planning to camp they tend to have less of a sense of humour when it comes to their forest burning.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I wonder of we are thinking of the same shop, Wayne. It left quite an inpression on me anyway. We certainly don't have anything similar over here.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Is the knife shop on Kaertner Strasse? The pedestrian street in the center?

I have travelled extensively all across Europe and always carry a Victorinox multi tool knife on my belt. A good fixed blade in the car, in the door pocket. No problems whatsoever.
I would not carry a fixed blade on my belt in any built up area. No need for one there, is it?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I don't know if my memory is failing me, but I think I started a thread on what you could carry in what countries. Might be worth adding to that thread (maybe make it sticky). And if my memory has failed me completely, perhaps we should have a sticky thread on what you can and can't have in various EU countries.

J

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Denmark: Illegal to carry any knife after dark. Fines if breaking the law.
Sweden: Illegal to carry knives unless your profession needs one, or are a hobby fisherman or hunter. Illegal to carry a knife in a public place, school areas or in a vehicle. Fines, up to 6 months jail in extreme cases.

that is what I got from the internet.

Practically you can carry a folder in the pocket. Outside the cities loads of guys carry a fixed blade.
I sometimes carry a fixed blade in Norway, in my village or the nearest town, and the police have seen it ( I think) but have never stopped me.

Most guys I know carry a fixed blade in the car. Of the ones living in the country, they all have an axe too, in the luggage compartement.
Uto dispatch an animal if you hit it with the car.

It will be quite difficult to get hold of the laws and how the laws are enforced in the different European countries I think.
I speak Swedish so could get hold the appropriate legal pages on the 'net.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Oops, looks like my svord peasant mini knife in my pocket may have got me on the wrong side of the law in Germany. I'm glad I wasn't stopped by the police... oops.

J

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks all, i'll be selective.

Can't see me having any fires unless i'm with people I know living there and they should know the law on that, taking a store etc although that's a pain as we need to cook for 7 :D

It's all a tight fit space wise with all of us going...

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Leaving tomorrow!!

I've limited things to a folder and a small fixed blade that are well packed.

Passports, vignette's, 7 people's stuff, cool box, insurances, car serviced (lets not talk about that one), borrowed roof box fixed on, shelf built in boot to make it easier to access stuff, euro's purchased (should have done that on the 23rd!), spare bulbs, triangle etc etc as required, camera sorted, cooking stuff (for the odd occasion) and all the rest of it....

It's going to be good i'm sure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE