Knife law.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AdeInTokyo

Feb 13, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
I have a hypothetical question.

Carrying a 3inch non locker is legal in the uk, but any fixed blade is prohibited, right (general carry)? The question is; what would happen if the blade broke off, you filed the bottom inch and a half to make a handle. Then you have a tiny fixed blade, would that be illegal?

Just wondering, as a similar thing happened to me. A pair of scissors broke and I was worried as I now had 2 fixed blade knives. Binned the broken scissors, btw.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... Carrying a 3inch non locker is legal in the uk, but any fixed blade is prohibited, right (general carry)?

There are restrictions on where you can carry a sub 3" non locking folder. Fixed bladed knives aren't prohibited, you just need reasonable grounds to carry.

... what would happen if the blade broke off, you filed the bottom inch and a half to make a handle. Then you have a tiny fixed blade, would that be illegal?

You'd have upcycled it into a fixed blade knife. Not illegal, just needs the good reason to carry ...

...Just wondering, as a similar thing happened to me. A pair of scissors broke and I was worried as I now had 2 fixed blade knives. Binned the broken scissors, btw.

Why worry, unless you're purposely carrying broken scissors as knives? Even unbroken (in the UK, at least) they'd come under the 'pointed article' bit of the same act as over 3" non-locking folders, all locking folders, sheath knives etc ;)

AdeInTokyo

Feb 13, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
There are restrictions on where you can carry a sub 3" non locking folder. Fixed bladed knives aren't prohibited, you just need reasonable grounds to carry.

You'd have upcycled it into a fixed blade knife. Not illegal, just needs the good reason to carry ...

Why worry, unless you're purposely carrying broken scissors as knives? Even unbroken (in the UK, at least) they'd come under the 'pointed article' bit of the same act as over 3" non-locking folders, all locking folders, sheath knives etc ;)
Thanks for the response, I was aware of the laws regarding General carrying in the uk, ie a night club, school. Football match...

My point was more rhetorical, and aiming to point out the arbitrary nature of the uk knife laws.

The pointed article section, is even worse. A pencil is potentially illegal.

I also know the emphasis is on intent, and I can't think of a better method.

Would anyone like to give their 10p on what could be a better law?

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I carry knives regularly for work into the big city and I often fly with various bushcraft tools. I only ever has one problem with an over zealous British Transport Police officer operating a mobile metal detector. I had 12 moras, couple of axes, and a few other bits he would have objected to.

Remaining very calm and polite is the first principle. Always know the law. That chap wanted to confiscate my weapons. After several minutes of explaining he was not legally entitled to and I would sue his behind off.

He he agreed to phone a friend for advice. I was eventually allowed on my way to work.

Whilst annoying i can understand that certain sections of society probably ought not to be carrying big choppers around the streets of our major cities.

So I think the law as it stands is not too bad. I should be able to carry my katana to training on the train and I have done quite happily in its bag with my other toys.

It has always been frowned on the stab our fellows and it remains thus. Police officers need to be able to apply common sense and continue to ask the question is this in the public interest.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... My point was more rhetorical, and aiming to point out the arbitrary nature of the uk knife laws.

Are they arbitrary though? In the main they give 'wriggle room' and allow for the applicationof common sense (not that that always happens :( ). Yes, some things are banned outright. But, generally, they are banned because they are tools designed and intended for inflicting levels of damage to living flesh (whether human or not ~ there's a big difference between carrying darts for a game at the pub and toting blow darts and blow pipe ;) )

Can you imagine the nightmare of knife law being overly specific? :yikes: Or it demanding that you be licensed for each bladed and/or pointed tool you need to carry on a camping trip or bimble? :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

... The pointed article section, is even worse. A pencil is potentially illegal.

It would only become illegal if you (purposely) poked someone (or something fleshy) with it ~ and, in doing so, turned it into an offensive weapon. Equally it would be 'Type III Daft' to threaten to poke someone (or something fleshy) with it ... or to brandish it at someone during a heated conversation.

... I also know the emphasis is on intent, and I can't think of a better method.

;)

... Would anyone like to give their 10p on what could be a better law?

As it's unlawful/illegal to purposely hurt or injure ... or set out to hurt or injure ... or to threaten to hurt or injure ... or to purposely* intimidate/bully ... etc it would be nice if the laws regarding causing injury or damage were properly enforced ~ then there'd be no need to ban ... prohibit ... restrict. But then that requires everyone to be able to be mindful of others feelings, to be able to act fairly and apply common sense ~ and to not have the mindset that would misuse/abuse the tool(s) or laws ;) . And that's without that person, sharpening on the corner, getting mugged by someone for their now razor sharp tools ... :eek:

* For example, there's a difference between folk knowing you have a collection of rather nicely crafted bladed tools at home and standing on a street corner sharpening them ;) . Sharpening them in public shouldn't be taken as an indicator that you intend to act unlawfully but if you weren't able to understand that some/many might find it 'more than mildly upsetting' then you might not be the ideal candidate for free range living anyway! :rofl:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
to my mind the worst current knife law is that you cant EDC a lock knife, which is just a bit of a p.i.t.a cos i'm not the worlds biggest fan of friction folders

In the main they are fairly sensible

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE