knife is a luxury fire starting essentail

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
The Bicycle inner tube trick works great if you are not using the lighter, a good way to carry extra lighter fluid is in a plastic "nip" bottle they do not disolve and I have not had a problem with them leaking in my bag or breaking.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Fire can be used a building and cutting tool too. If you had to fell a large tree and had only fire you can still do it. You can set multiple fires along a log to get it into managable sections. Fire can be used to split stone. Obviously it needs a lot of effort and supervision, but it can be done. Fire as a building tool is often overlooked in the list of uses.

http://www.native-art-in-canada.com/fellatree.html

Last edited:

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
The more i learn about bushcraft before metal tools and how to make things with no metal tools the knife has really no importance to me unless it's an axe or machete.

For survival i don't personally see ghe point of a knife, for bushcraft where complicated notches are used and intricate carving is required in a speedy manner then the knife becomes important.

For shelter building a 4 inch blade isn't needed whatsoever, You don't need a knife for prepping small game or small fish, you don't need to carve anything,

Fire on the other hand will get things done.

For survival i would wan't a half inch blade or an axe

S

Shotgun

Fire can be used a building and cutting tool too. If you had to fell a large tree and had only fire you can still do it. You can set multiple fires along a log to get it into managable sections. Fire can be used to split stone. Obviously it needs a lot of effort and supervision, but it can be done. Fire as a building tool is often overlooked in the list of uses.

http://www.native-art-in-canada.com/fellatree.html
Very true but it's a lot more labor intensive and in most cases really isn't a good alternative in a survival scenario.

The more i learn about bushcraft before metal tools and how to make things with no metal tools the knife has really no importance to me unless it's an axe or machete.

For survival i don't personally see ghe point of a knife, for bushcraft where complicated notches are used and intricate carving is required in a speedy manner then the knife becomes important.

For shelter building a 4 inch blade isn't needed whatsoever, You don't need a knife for prepping small game or small fish, you don't need to carve anything,

Fire on the other hand will get things done.

For survival i would wan't a half inch blade or an axe
I have yet to NEED a knife in the woods. Axe or machete are awesome for making things happen quickly and efficiently. My setup has been a hawk and a 2 1/2 inch bladed knife and have yet to feel that the knife is too short.

I disagree with the OP. A lighter and a knife are numbers 2 and 3 on my list of wants for the outdoors. The single most important piece of equipment is the clothes on your back. With proper clothing the 72 hour wait for rescue can be done. It won't be comfy but it will be doable. Improper clothing with a knife AND a lighter would be sketchy.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Started caring a spyderco ukpn as a edc and use it for everything ,as you say people do use a knife to much and was surprised how quick I got use to it,wife did real me in when I caught a big mac moving across the table and cut in half.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE