knife is a luxury fire starting essentail

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

tommy11

I have come to the conclusion that I could manage to survive outdoors without a knife as long as I had a means of making fire...

and for me that means a lighter not a firesteel....I can never find dry fine tinder for a firesteel so a lighter is perfect.

Right now I'm using a zippo style lighter which when filled only last about 3 days for my smoking.... so if I needed it for bushcraft I would take along a can of lighter fluid.

Anyway, that's it, I say fire is most important in survival and bushcraft.

T

tommy11

I've been drinking and sleeping so my spelling may be a bit off....sorry

T

tommy11

You need no tools whatsoever to build shelter given the right resouces i.e a good forest.

T

tommy11

For shelter just break alot of good branches off and make a shelter... I've seen it done with no tools.

T

tommy11

I suppose you do need a knife to batton into the dry wood inside wet branches....

Who cares I've got Sky TV, music, internet etc at home..Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Fire isn't kit though is it. A lighter is. Would a lighter be more important than a knife. Nope. It's like saying a water is more important than a knife. Yeah it is obviously, but it's not kit.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
If you seal the Zippo with a wide rubber band or small slice of bike innertube they are supposed to last much longer as the petrol cant escape. Not tried it myself though.

Steve

T

tommy11

I apologise for my stupid comment earlier, it only made me out to be riff raff... which I'm not.

That's the problem with alcohol....it turns me into a complete moron.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Interesting point and i agree.

Shelterbuilding doesn't require a knife in nearly all cases, the knife requires you to have extensive knowledge of your environment and extensive knowledge of how to use the knife.

Most folks use a knife for things that don't require a knife anyway.

If you can make primitive fire then the knife takes precedence as after a few weeks things like netting needles, swivels, shaving wood, making sturdy camp furniture, cutlery and crockery, reels, more complex traps, better cooking rigs, cuting rawhide, and various crafts to pass the time.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Interesting point and i agree.

Shelterbuilding doesn't require a knife in nearly all cases, the knife requires you to have extensive knowledge of your environment and extensive knowledge of how to use the knife.

Most folks use a knife for things that don't require a knife anyway.

If you can make primitive fire then the knife takes precedence as after a few weeks things like netting needles, swivels, shaving wood, making sturdy camp furniture, cutlery and crockery, reels, more complex traps, better cooking rigs, cuting rawhide, and various crafts to pass the time.

I just knew I should have used the lawn mower to fillet that cod. :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE